X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use compiz

Hello,

I have karmic installed and I am trying to figure out compiz. I installed it using the following command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-kde compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-fusion-plugins-extra emerald librsvg2-common
    I see that snapping windows is already checked.
    But nothing is happening. Does it not work on all computers?
    Any input would be appreciated.

Re: How to use compiz

dident Karmic's compositing efects work for you?

K>system setting's>desktop>desktop effects.

no compiz dosent work with all gpu's what do you have for graficks

type
    Code:
    lspci
    in a terminal and post the output.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by ryy705

I see that snapping windows is already checked.
      But nothing is happening. Does it not work on all computers?
      Any input would be appreciated.
      A prerequisite is that you have a graphics system capable of running glx and compositing (and a suitable driver installed). So, open a Konsole window and try

Code:
      glxgears
      Does it run?

If "no", then you can forget about compiz until you resolve this. If "yes", then we can proceed to review the process of going into CCSM and setting up the compiz features that you want. Also if "yes" go ahead and install the fusion-icon package too.

Comment

vinnywright,
        I installed compiz because I am told it will allow transparent windows in Kubuntu. What I really want is to turn Terminal, NetBeans and Yukuake transparent. It will allow me to read PDFs and web pages in the background while I type. I am pasting the output of lspci at the bottom of the post.

dibl,
        Running glxgears worked. I see the 3D gears.

Thank you both for replying to my post.

Output of lspci:
        Code:
        00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 Host Bridge (rev 10)
        00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
        00:05.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
        00:06.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
        00:12.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA
        00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI0)
        00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI1)
        00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI2)
        00:13.3 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI3)
        00:13.4 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI4)
        00:13.5 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)
        00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)
        00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 IDE
        00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
        00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge
        00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
        00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
        00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
        00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
        00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
        01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M]
        05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)
        08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
        08:01.0 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 19)
        08:01.1 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 01)

Comment

what version of kubuntu are you using. because if you have kde4 you don't need compiz for transparent windows. check out system settings -> desktop -> desktop efffects-> all effects. and look for transparent windows.

naturally you need to turn on desktop effects. and that once again will depend on your gfx card...
          i see you have a radeon xPress 200M, first thing for you to do is see if there is a restricted driver present for your machine (run jockey from the kmenu). there is a good chance your card is now covered by an open source driver... if there is one install it then see if you can enable desktop effects.

if you can run glxgears then desktop effects should work.

since you went thru the trouble of setting up compiz to start it (will need to be done ever login unless you change system settings ->default applications -> window manager to compiz)
          run the command
          [code=to start compiz]compiz --enable[/code]
          and to get kwin back [code=kwin]kwin --replace[/code]

also if your running compiz you may notice from time to time your window borders vanish.if that happens start emerald (might have to install it first)
          [code=start ememald]emerald --replace[/code]

good luck
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I went back to kwin since you said that it supports window transparency. And I got transparency to work with Konsole.

Now,
            How can I determine the window class for a program?

Yakuake does not have a title bar. So, I need to set its transparency from "window behavior". "window behavior"
            is asking for the class name for the window I am trying to modify.

I can see that it set up konsole in following manner:
            Window class (application type): qt-subapplication konsole
            Window role: mainwindow#1

I tried to setup Yakuake the same way by replacing "konsole" with "yakuake" (among other things). It did not work. I googled the issue too. I did not find anything relevant..

Comment

for yakuake rt. click(when its out) ->edit current profile ->appearance , and adjust the transparency level for your theme.. then restart yakuake (and it should be good)

Comment

You are a very knowledgeable person. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by ryy705
                  You are a very knowledgeable person. Thank you.
                  just been using kubuntu for quite some time , i also happen to enjoy my konsole w/ a bit of transparency. and since i use yakuake its natural for me to have tried it btw any time that yakuake starts when there is not transparncey support you will have to restart it after you start the effects. to make it transparent again. enjoy , oh and one last thing if you have to start your effects every long in (i do on this beta kde 4.4) you can use shift+alt+f12 to save some clicking

Comment

Working...
                  X