X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Pointers, and more!

Hi,

So I broke a cardinal rule and installed a whack of things without rebooting. When I did reboot, I boot to either a screen with multi-colored text garbage flashing in places, or to the desktop without being able to see my pointer. It's there, I can use it, just can't see it. Ideas?

Also, when I boot, Grub asks me if I want to load Ubuntu 2.6.31-16 (which is the one I have the trouble with) or -14. What's the diff?

Cor

Re: Problems with Pointers, and more!

I'm not sure I understand how you can use your pointer if you can't see it. But if it's possible, point at the blue K and start "System Settings". Go to "Computer Administration" > "Keyboard & Mouse" > "Mouse" > "Cursor Theme". Try a few of them (don't forget to click "apply" between trials). One (or more) may be visible. BTW, I like the "Contrast Large" mouse pointer because I'm both nearsighted and clumsy.

2.6.31-16 and 2.6.31-14 are two different minor releases of the Linux "kernel", which is the software that controls your CPU. I'm surprised that you don't also have 2.6.31-15, as well since that was released between 14 and 16. In addition, once you get things working properly, you should run an update, because Kubuntu Jaunty is now (15 Dec. 2009) running the 2.6.31-17 kernel. Minor releases are primarily bug-fixes and security patches and usually won't make an apparent difference in performance (unless they save your #$%&).

Comment

Well, I can still use the mouse because when your mouse is over certain parts of the desktop they react, for instance, the K lights up, so that's how I can still do some little things.

I'm doing a software update now, from .14, so theoretically, if I reboot, I will be running in .17?

Cor

Comment

Also, when I do a variety of updates, it asks me to put the CD in. Can I do something to make it not take files from the CD, like maybe from the internet instead? For example, I just tried to install Wine, and it said it had two additional packages it needed, and asked for the cd.

Cor

Comment

Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list and comment out the first line that points to the CD
          Code:
          # deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 9.10 _Karmic Koala_ - Release amd64 (20091027)]/ karmic main restricted
          If you prefer using KPackageKit
          Settings -> Edit Software Sources -> enter password -> Other software tab
          Uncheck the line that starts with cdrom:

Comment

try changeing your resoloution , my old hp has this issue untill i change its res from 640x480 to 800x600 (but that was w/ debian) . kubuntu didn't have that issue
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
            X