X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Compiling??

hey there ppl

so im trying to compile a set of files;
    i did the unpacking, ./configure but there is no make!
    typing ls gives
    Code:
    ABOUT-NLS   ChangeLog   config.sub  depcomp   Makefile.am  NEWS    README-win.txt
    acinclude.m4 compile    configure   INSTALL   Makefile.in  po     src
    aclocal.m4  config.guess configure.in install-sh missing    README   VERSION
    AUTHORS    config.rpath COPYING    m4     mkinstalldirs README.CVS win32
    i've been trying to learn compiling but as you can see im still a noob.
    help plz

Re: Compiling??

Hi,

I think you need to install the build-essential package. And then retry what you were doing ...

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
      Hi,

I think you need to install the build-essential package. And then retry what you were doing ...

already got it.

Comment

I am not an expert on this. If you look at "How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!" on http://amitech.50webs.com/installing...hp.html#source it says:
        Note: not all files with an extension named .tar, .tar.gz, and so on are archives with source code in them - they might be precompiled! If the archive is precompiled, there should be an installer or a binary executable inside it.
        You have a file called INSTALL and another install.sh

Have read the file called README?

Can we ask WHAT you are attempting to compile? 99 times out of 100 a newbie should not compile - it can cause too many problems, they should automatically download and install using the package manager where possible.
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
          I am not an expert on this. If you look at "How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!" on http://amitech.50webs.com/installing...hp.html#source it says:
          Note: not all files with an extension named .tar, .tar.gz, and so on are archives with source code in them - they might be precompiled! If the archive is precompiled, there should be an installer or a binary executable inside it.
          You have a file called INSTALL and another install.sh

Have read the file called README?

Can we ask WHAT you are attempting to compile? 99 times out of 100 a newbie should not compile - it can cause too many problems, they should automatically download and install using the package manager where possible.
          yes i did read the readme and it said

blablabla Running `configure' takes awhile. While running, it prints some
          messages telling which features it is checking for.

2. Type `make' to compile the package.

3. Optionally, type `make check' to run any self-tests that come with
          the package.

4. Type `make install' to install the programs and any data files and
          documentation. blablabla

i know i shouldnt, but honestly its the best way to learn, specially in a multi-ultra versatile tool like this.
          If i could only do what im 100% sure of what im doing, i couldnt do crap =p.

oh and im compiling VisualBoy Advance files.

thanks for the help

Comment

Could you please show us the output of "./configure", and the output of "make" ? It isn't really clear what your problem is ...

Comment

1) It is available from the Package Manager

2) Alternatively there is a .deb available from http://sourceforge.net/projects/vbam...6.deb/download

3) Where does your file come from?
              "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

IF make is installed it should be here: /usr/bin/make

Mine is:
                /usr/bin/make

jerry@Sonyvgnfw140e:~$ make -v
                GNU Make 3.81
                Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
                This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
                There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
                PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
                It does a good job of compiling. You may also want to install "cmake" too.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

it is available!
                  thanks.

still gonna try the other way though.

if you lived closer i would send you a fruit basket.

Comment

Working...
                  X