This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED>It was originaly a network problem...:(<SOLVED>

The windows computer on my network, couldn't see me at all...but i could seen them...so i was messing arround with samba, editing configs..and stuff like that...i even tried installing couple of programs from the KP that had something to do with networking...but still no good...windows computers just couldn't see me at all...So i get a stupid idea...i wanted to reinstall all network software...and i wen into software management and unistalled anything that has a "network" word in it ...Now computer can hardly boot up..and when it boots up, i just has the console and i can't even type in that console because i get the messages about failing I/o all the time...

Is there anything i can do? I mean, besides reinstalling the whole system? Can i somehow install manager again? At its related software?

Thanks in advance!

Re: It was originaly a network problem...

boot when getting to grub hit esc to get the grub menu, select recovery mode, and then the option "fix broken packages" if that don't work save your self a lot of time and package transport and just reinstall.

when you say that your windows computer can't "see" your kubuntu machine what exactly do you mean by that... can they ping one another (i guess you can tell us after you fix it). i am under the assumption that your trying to use file sharing between the two w/ samba?
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Yes i tried "fix broken packages" and it didn't work, so i reinstalled...i only erased the root partition (not the home partition) so it wasn't that big of a deal...
      And yes, i was able to ping my machine from windows, but i couldn't set file sharing ..
      As a matter of fact, i still can't do it after reinstall

Comment

samba file sharing is not included by default in kubuntu (at least the server portion of it)
        install the following packages

[code=run in konsole]
        sudo apt-get install samba system-config-samba [/code] it might ask for other packages as dependcies install those too..
        then after its all done click on your kmenu and search for samba , use the samba config tool to set up your shares.

Comment

OK i have dont that, still when i click onto Samba nothing happens...i tried waiting for 5 minutes, and still nothing...exactly that was happening before i uninstalled everything ...

Comment

to see your files on the windows machine,
            open dolphin, and make the address bar editable (right click on it select edit) then type in

smb:/<ip or hostname of server>

and where are you clicking on samba if its in dolphin -> network -> samba . i think thats mostly broken atm hence the advice above to manually point it to the comptuer u want to see.

Comment

Im not sure i follow you...i can do this..i go to the dolphin and go to network, and i have samba icon, i click inside and i see my network called MSHOME...i see another network called WORKGROUP...when i click on MSHOME i see the other computer..i can access it copy blah blah...But the other computer cannot see me..
              Is it normal that i have WORKGROUP i didnt configure? maybe something is wrong with that??/ what do you think?

Comment

WORKGROUP is the default name of the workgroup that the kubuntu machine belongs to. You can change it by editing smb.conf, or by using the graphical UI started from K -> System Settings -> Advanced tab -> Samba

If there is no Samba applet, then install the package called kdenetwork-filesharing

Comment

Originally posted by Loshmi
                  Im not sure i follow you...i can do this..i go to the dolphin and go to network, and i have samba icon, i click inside and i see my network called MSHOME...i see another network called WORKGROUP...when i click on MSHOME i see the other computer..i can access it copy blah blah...But the other computer cannot see me..
                  Is it normal that i have WORKGROUP i didnt configure? maybe something is wrong with that??/ what do you think?
                  that exactly what i was asking where was it hanging in the process...

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
                    WORKGROUP is the default name of the workgroup that the kubuntu machine belongs to. You can change it by editing smb.conf, or by using the graphical UI started from K -> System Settings -> Advanced tab -> Samba

If there is no Samba applet, then install the package called kdenetwork-filesharing
                    Mk, there was no kdentework-filesharing, so i installed it...now i can click "configre file sharing" in dolphin...but still XP doesn't see my files, or my computer...

Comment

I cans see my Kubuntu pc from windows using samba.
                      make sure you have the full samba installed, Kubuntu comes only with samba-client.
                      here is a sample of my smb.conf
                      [global]
                      netbios name = Kub-Gil
                      workgroup = MSHOME
                      server string = Samba %v on (%L)
                      security = SHARE
                      auth methods = guest
                      map to guest = Bad User
                      obey pam restrictions = Yes
                      passdb backend = tdbsam
                      pam password change = Yes
                      passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
                      passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
                      unix password sync = Yes
                      syslog = 0
                      log file = /var/log/samba/log.smb
                      max log size = 1000
                      name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
                      domain master = No
                      dns proxy = No
                      usershare allow guests = Yes
                      panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[Public]
                      path = /home/gil/Public/
                      browsable = Yes
                      read only = No
                      guest ok = Yes
                      create mask = 0775
                      directory mask = 0775
                      hosts allow = 127.0.0.1, 192.168., localhost
                      hosts deny = 192.168.220.102

[Local Disk]
                      path = /media/Local Disk/
                      browsable = Yes
                      read only = No
                      guest ok = Yes
                      create mask = 0775
                      directory mask = 0775

Comment

if you manually edit your smb.conf file you can change you work group to (what ever you xp machines is) do the following

1. press alt + f2 bring up krunner and run 'kdesudo kate /etc/samba/smb.conf' (no ' s)
                        2. find the section [global] should be near the start of the file.... and look for this line, workgroup = Workgroup
                        3. change that line to workgroup = <your workgroup>
                        4. save the file
                        5. restart samba, bring up a konsole now run ' sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart' (no 's ) or sudo samba restart (if you get an error about it being an upstart job)
                        6. check to see if the xp machine can see the server now (\\<ip or hostname> for address in explorer, is the fastest way)

Comment

hmm restarting samba did the trick...windows now sees me...thanks a lot guy!

Comment

Re: &lt;SOLVED&gt;It was originaly a network problem...&lt;SOLVED&gt;

no problem

Comment

Working...
                            X