This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

resize an ext4 Partition

I installed Kubuntu 9.1 and the installer took the whole disk. I like Kubuntu and do not want to damage my installation. however I would like to resize the partition so I could try RevLinuxos. How can I accomplish this?
    By the way Kubuntu is the best os I have ever used.
    Bryce

Re: resize an ext4 Partition

Use the GParted Live CD (free):

GParted (Live CD, USB, HD)
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    New Manual. New man page. See Documentation:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thank you for the link I had looked for gparted on the kubuntu CD
      now i should be able to accomplish the task
      Thanks

Comment

I think it is always safer, better, easier to use the Live GParted CD (except maybe for quick, small jobs). In your case, you could not use gparted from within your Kubuntu (since you are changing the Kubuntu partition!).

In general, if you don't have gparted installed in your Kubuntu, get it using your package manager. It will show up under K > System > Partition editor. But, as I say, to be safe and sure, always try to take your time and use the GParted Live CD.
        The capabilities of GParted are given under "Features" on the left side bar of the main page:
        http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

GParted Live is a small bootable GNU/Linux distribution for x86 machine.

Does anyone know if GParted Live version 0.4.6-1 (current) supports 64 bit processes? Not all x86 programs are compatible with x86-64 or x64?

Comment

Installed file systems are not processor-centric within the 'processor family' - i.e., on an Intel or AMD PC. So, whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit processor, the installed file system - ext2, ext3, ext4, ... will be the same. Gparted runs/works just fine with 32-bit or 64-bit processors.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Vinny brought this to my attention recently:

Use GParted Live 0.4.6-1 for resizing all file systems.

GParted News
              12 December 2009 : Problems with Partition Resizing Continue

Unfortunately it appears that partition resizing problems continue with GParted Live versions 0.4.8-1 through 0.5.0-3.

In the case of the NTFS file system, The error message seen after the partition is resized is:

ERROR: Current NTFS volume size is bigger than the device size!

The problem appears to be related to the combination of packages, Linux kernel, and patches used in the GParted Live image. We are investigating to find the root cause of the problem.

Until this problem is solved we recommend GParted Live 0.4.6-1 for resizing all file systems.

The bug report to track this problem is bug #604298.

The forum post "WARNING! Problem Resizing File Systems with GParted" contains a list of the confirmed cases of this problem.

If you experience this problem, please open a new post in the GParted forum.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php

Comment

...and don't forget to backup backup backup
                asus A52N
                Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
                AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
                windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Working...
                X