Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

auth failed 3x. Is this an update or something else?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auth failed 3x. Is this an update or something else?

pam_unix(sudo:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost= user=xxx
    pam_unix(sudo:auth): conversation failed
    xxx: 3 incorrect password attempts ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/kubuntu/Documents ; USER=root ; COMMAND=xxxx (some service)

Re: auth failed 3x. Is this an update or something else?

1) Are these attempts by YOU to use sudo, or are they coming from outside.?

2) In a previous thread, I suggested that you turn off your firewall TEMPORARILY in order to isolate a problem. Did you do so? If so, did you turn it back on?

Comment

these are an attempt by a service to update which was unsuccesfull. Though funny that it did ti during the time I was afk ie screen lock.

- yes I did but the issue was not related to my firewall. Still a guess to what the error is however traffic is flowing normally through my firewall which it wasn't a few days ago. I did have some virus issues but I do not know if they are related.

Comment

I did have some virus issues
        Personally, I rather doubt that:
        (1) Virtually all viruses are written for Windoze. They won't run on Linux. Any more than M$ Office apps will.
        (2) Your system has been protected almost continuously. You would have to be spectacularly unlucky to have been infected so quickly.
        (3) Given the above, it is MUCH more likely that your "virus issues" can be attributed to problems in configuring Linux itself. If Linux documentation were comprehensive and comprehensible, I'd be looking for something else to do with my spare time.

Comment

Working...
        X