This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi

So, I got Ubuntu up and running nicely, which included wifi - the way I got it to work there was to install ndsiwrapper (and other components), and then click the "find hardware" button, which then found the appropriate drivers. Is there an analagous way of doing it in Kubuntu? I've been struggling for hours...

Re: Wifi

It depends. Need information about your system, setup, computer etc. If you added Kubuntu on top of your Ubuntu then right click the screen and run nm-applet. That would get you the original settings from your Ubuntu desktop. You could use nm-applet under Kubuntu by adding it to your Autostart under system settings advanced.
    Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

It's an HP Pavilion dv2000, with a Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN card. I did a fresh install of Kubuntu (although I installed it from within Vista). Is there any disadvantage to setting everything up via Ubuntu and then installing KDE on top of that?

Comment

I'm learning the ropes myself but I've always found wifi in KDE to be a bit flaky compared to Gnome
        I downloaded an excellent app called WICD which replaces KNetwork Manager and works flawlessly everytime
        -------------------------------------------------------
        Viva Kubuntu!!
        Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
        2Gb RAM
        Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
        KDE 4.7.1

Comment

Originally posted by eldon
          It's an HP Pavilion dv2000, with a Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN card. I did a fresh install of Kubuntu (although I installed it from within Vista). Is there any disadvantage to setting everything up via Ubuntu and then installing KDE on top of that?
          It's a matter of choice. There are advantages, you get to choose your desktop at login and you get more applications. Some people think those are disadvantages. My Dell has Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01) and it works.
          Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Hi. If you're having trouble installing the binary (proprietary) drivers you might want to try running jockey-kde - that's the kde version of the restricted drivers manager that pops up when you install Ubuntu, and for some reason doesn't in Kubuntu.
            Theoretically you shouldn't have much trouble just installing Ubuntu and then installing kubuntu-desktop from there, though I remember a couple of years ago it got my (low-end) system quite a bit slower.
            BTW, if you have trouble with Network Manager itself, I'd recommend installing wicd - it doesn't hold your hand through configuration but once you learn how to use it it seems to have better results with the more annoying wifi chipsets *cough*atheros*cough*
            Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by eldon
              So, I got Ubuntu up and running nicely, which included wifi - the way I got it to work there was to install ndsiwrapper (and other components), and then click the "find hardware" button, which then found the appropriate drivers. Is there an analagous way of doing it in Kubuntu? I've been struggling for hours...
              "Follow up!" It's been since November that the last post was on this Subject. Did you get it resolved? If you did then please Edit your first post and add [Solved] to the Subject line. If not, then let us know and we will continue to help any way we can.

Comment

FIRST OF ALL..
                try this:
                Drivers for many of the wireless can be update from Hardware update in kubuntu directly.
                GoTo: K->Applications->System->Hardware Drivers
                install Broadcom STA and nVidia drivers

this should find the appropriate drivers.. easily.. no need to uninstall KNetworkmanager..

if this doesn't work.. then follow other alternatives
                asus A52N
                Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
                AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
                windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Another option is to run Synaptic and install b43-fwcutter, which will pull the bios from the firmware on your 4312 chip and create a driver from it. Your wireless lamp will turn on and then you can use wicd or knetworkmanager to configure and connect to your wireless. If you wireless lamp doesn't come on (or you don't have a wireless lamp and you still can't connect) you will probably have to reboot to active your wireless.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X