This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No gui boot

Ok her is what I hope is a simple problem.... I updated today and after the update Kubuntu Karmic boots to console login. I enter the login info and get the prompt. If I type sudo startx everything is fine. My question is this ...How do I get it to do all of that automatically so others in my house can use the pc?
    If I were a penguin...windows would be my main food group

Re: No gui boot

Best solution:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Keep doing this every few hours, until it is fixed.
    Karmic is still in the alpha testing stage, so updates periodically break things, that usually get fixed within 24 hrs.
    If others need to use the system, best to just leave it on under these circumstances.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Keep doing what drdruidphd recommends, and until the updated apps are posted you can use this fix to get your desktop to load as it normally should have:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...7742#msg197742
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Kubuntu Karmic Alpha has a verbose mode bootup. An ursplash screen is still under development. It should be ready for the final release though.

Comment

I believe this was fixed with last night's updates.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
            I believe this was fixed with last night's updates.
            It was.

This morning I updated my second Karmic test laptop when a notifier msg popped up. It went well and the desktop appeared after the reboot.

The karmic partition of this laptop, which I update every day with the usually commands, had that "no desktop" problem, which I fixed by modifying /etc/init/kdm.conf and changing the line which had .../sbin/kdm to .../bin/kdm.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: No gui boot <solved>

All is fixed as of boot this morning thanks all for the advice
              If I were a penguin...windows would be my main food group

Comment

Working...
              X