This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you reset password?

Hi iam new to kubuntu. I bought a lap top with kubuntu pass word on it the people that i bought it from lost the pass word. I am hopeing that some one out there can help me it is a nice lap top.how can i get a new pass word? Thanks for your help M Viar

Re: How do you reset password?

at boot, choose Recovery mode (if it auto-boots, you'll need to hit the key to bring up the grub menu (esc i think)). Once you're into recovery mode, choose root shell. Once you get a shell prompt (will look liek this: machine.name:~ #), do this:
    passwd insert username here
    # make install --not-war

Comment

I dont mean to sound stupid but this will remove the pass word? If so can i put my own pass word in then? Thanks for all your help. M Viar

Comment

Here is information on the command:
        http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_passwd.htm

I have a few "FWIW" type comments:
        - If the people who you got the laptop from were using it, then they would have had the password. I'd be suspicious about where it came from.
        - If you are new to Kubuntu then WELCOME!
        - If you are new to Linux you may not be aware that to load your own chosen version of Kubuntu on the machine is really simple and will cost you nothing except an hour (or much less) of your time. This is not like MS-Windows, and software is free by clicking on a list of many, many thousands of choices. Reloading the OS is my recommendation.
        - Post back if you need more advice on how to do any of that.
        - Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X