This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install...

Hi! Can you help me install MySQL on my newly installer Kubuntu-system?
    I type "sudo apt-get install mysql-server" and have "Package mysql-server is not available". RPM-file with MySQL-homepage i can't run too.
    Please, help if it possible.
    Thanks.

Re: How to install...

Originally posted by lamer

RPM-file with MySQL-homepage

*buntu is Debian Linux -- packages are in .deb files, not .rpm.

There must be a problem with your source repositories -- MySQL is a standard package.

Try this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Then open the synaptic package manager GUI and look for mysql packages.

Comment

Hi! Can you help me install MySQL on my newly installer Kubuntu-system?
      I type "sudo apt-get install mysql-server" and have "Package mysql-server is not available"....
      Did you ?:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      before you:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install mysql-server

man apt-get:
      update

update is used to resynchronize the package index files from their sources. The indexes of
      available packages are fetched from the location(s) specified in /etc/apt/sources.list. For
      example, when using a Debian archive, this command retrieves and scans the Packages.gz files,
      so that information about new and updated packages is available. An update should always be
      performed before an upgrade or dist-upgrade....

The mysql-server should be available for the all supported 'buntus (Dapper, Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty and Karmic) > Package mysql-server; You have searched for packages that names contain mysql-server in all suites, all sections, and all architectures. Found 6 matching packages...
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Try this:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install synaptic
        Then open the synaptic package manager GUI and look for mysql packages.
        No result :-X
        http://paste.org/pastebin/view/10638

Comment

There must be a problem with your source repositories -- MySQL is a standard package.
          What is repositories?

Comment

which version of kubuntu are you using? from your paste, it looks like you're using gutsy, which is EOL.
            # make install --not-war

Comment

Originally posted by russlar
              which version of kubuntu are you using? from your paste, it looks like you're using gutsy, which is EOL.

Comment

There are few good reasons to sink your time into installing and configuring 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon at this point. Current released version is 9.04, and 9.10 is due out in less than 30 days. :P

However, for the record:

E: Malformed line 79 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist)
                That is your problem. Something has borked your sources list -- you didn't try "Automatix" did you?

So, you would (if you were going to spend time on it) open kate in super user mode and edit line 79 to fix whatever is wrong -- and whatever is wrong will be very obvious after you look at it for 10 seconds.

oleg@oleg-desktop:~$ sudo kate list /etc/apt/sources.list
                That is NOT how you open kate in super user mode. Try Alt-F2 "kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list" with no quote marks.

Comment

Look at line two. It says: E: Malformed line 79 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist)

Look at the line which appears on your output as line 78 (not 79!). It says:
                  Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com feisty/universe Packages

Most of your lines are about GUTSY but line 78 says FEISTY (Forget about the missing GPG keys just now!)

Make that line ineffective. Edit your sources list.

Open a Terminal and input the command:
                  kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
                  That will open your sources list in the editor called kate and you will have "root" privileges.

Put a # at the beginning of that line.

Save in Kate. Exit Kate.

Try dibl's instructions again
                  "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                  "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

There are few good reasons to sink your time into installing and configuring 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon at this point. Current released version is 9.04, and 9.10 is due out in less than 30 days. :P

However, for the record:

E: Malformed line 79 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist)
                    That is your problem. Something has borked your sources list -- you didn't try "Automatix" did you?

So, you would (if you were going to spend time on it) open kate in super user mode and edit line 79 to fix whatever is wrong -- and whatever is wrong will be very obvious after you look at it for 10 seconds.

oleg@oleg-desktop:~$ sudo kate list /etc/apt/sources.list
                    That is NOT how you open kate in super user mode. Try Alt-F2 "kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list" with no quote marks.
                    Can you send me full-complete file sources.list with all settings? I think trouble in this file.

Comment

Can you send me full-complete file sources.list with all settings?
                      Not for 7.10, unfortunately -- that is 2 years old. But, your /etc/apt/sources.list file can be fixed -- see what arochester has written -- you can either use Alt-F2 or use Kmenu > System > Konsole and open kate that way, with "kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list".

Comment

Can you send me full-complete file sources.list with all settings?
                        Not for 7.10, unfortunately -- that is 2 years old. But, your /etc/apt/sources.list file can be fixed -- see what arochester has written -- you can either use Alt-F2 or use Kmenu > System > Konsole and open kate that way, with "kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list".
                        And what about if you recomend me not heavy to hardware & distr-size operation system with:
                        - its will be Linux!!!
                        - easy to set up internet (pppoeconf?)
                        - browser firefox or opera
                        - kate
                        - g++
                        - mysql server
                        I have to make hometask (big hometask) to my collage by monthday. So, I use linux at a first time

Comment

dibl is perfectly correct (as usual!) when he says we cannot give you an old sources list.

A few years ago there was a very useful sources list generator based in the Netherlands, but it stoppped.

There is a new sources list generator, but it only STARTS at Hardy- http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/

One way out of this problem is to save everything you want to an external Hard Drive and do a new, clean install...

...Or you can try to sort out what you have got.

If you look at psychocats he advocates having a home partition so that you could do a new install and leave, not format, the home partition. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome
                          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

And what about if you recomend me not heavy to hardware & distr-size operation system with:
                            - its will be Linux!!!
                            - easy to set up internet (pppoeconf?)
                            - browser firefox or opera
                            - kate
                            - g++
                            - mysql server
                            I have to make hometask (big hometask) to my collage by monthday. So, I use linux at a first time
                            If "not heavy to hardware" is important, I recommend Xubuntu:

http://www.xubuntu.org/

This has the Xfce desktop, which is lighter than KDE. It does not use the kate editor, it has mousepad, which works just as well for most purposes. All the *buntu packages including MySQL are available, of course.

Comment

Working...
                            X