Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How install and configure EQUALIZER on kubuntu.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How install and configure EQUALIZER on kubuntu.

At the windows, I can configure winamp's equalizer or general volume eq. But here I don't know howto...

Re: How install and configure EQUALIZER on kubuntu.

hear the equalizer's are in the players...........some have them some dont.......what's your faveret player?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Both KMix and Alsamixer have bass and treble controls but that is the only equalization they offer. It's a bit crude, especially since you can't even control the turnover points, but I assume they are shelving.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
        Both KMix and Alsamixer have bass and treble controls but that is the only equalization they offer. It's a bit crude, especially since you can't even control the turnover points, but I assume they are shelving.
        Hummm I see no bass or treble in eather of those hear??

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I just popped open Amarok to look at the equalizer (on the "Playback screen), and it is all grayed out, with a message "equalizer not supported by Phonon".

Hmmmmm.

Phonon -- thats the one that puts up an error message "PulseAudio device does not work" while the Kubuntu tune plays at bootup.

I'm not sure what the deal is here -- you might need to switch to a different device, if possible, in System Settings > Multimedia > Audio.

Comment

vinnywright: Hummm I see no bass or treble in eather of those hear??
            AFAIK, it is chip dependent. I just checked two machines here and the one with an SB128 which has an ES1370 chip also has no bass or treble. However, the one with the SB Live! has a slightly more modern EMU10k1 with both bass and treble and a "tone" switch.

Checking the repos for something software based, I see one seemingly capable parametric equalizer for 8.04 called fil-plugin. It is a LADSPA plugin so I suppose you need to use jack or jack-rack or something. The complexity mounts! I think we need help from muzicman0 here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
              I think we need help from muzicman0 here.
              Ha!

All I can really tell you is that LADSPA plugins are designed to work within a host (IE: ardour)...so unless the player (IE: amarok, VLC, etc) supports them, they won't work...

My guess is that your comment about it being chipset dependent is correct. I have a tenancy to not use software EQ's, at least not for simple audio playback.
              Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

All I can really tell you is that LADSPA plugins are designed to work within a host (IE: ardour)...so unless the player (IE: amarok, VLC, etc) supports them, they won't work...
                I believe the plugin (fil-plugin) I mentioned above works with jackrack so I suppose that is a way to route the sound. I've also read about using an ALSA loopback driver as a way to route things. After a little searching it looks to me like there are viable solutions.
                . . . I have a tenancy to not use software EQ's, at least not for simple audio playback.
                That sounds like a good recommendation. I have a feeling that software processing can take up more than a few CPU cycles.

The bottom line seems to be that if the OP has equalization support on the sound device, then it will be available in the standard mixers. If not, then the sound needs to be routed through something with the appropiate functionality. Of course, like VINNY suggests: if your player of choice has it built in, then you're already good to go!

Comment

I could be wrong, but doesn't the audio software have to be aware of jack for jack to work?

mm0
                  Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
                    I could be wrong, but doesn't the audio software have to be aware of jack for jack to work?
                    mm0
                    Oh dear. Doesn't it just take PCI as input? I have to admit that I haven't gotten jack to work myself. The "talk" makes it sound like it was more functional that that!

OT: I know my analogue audio electronics and nothing stops me from plugging anything into anything else. I think digital has a long way to go yet. ... or perhaps I do.

Comment

Jack is hard to explain...

in an analog world, it might be compared to a patch panel. The thing is, the software (amarok, vlc, etc) has to have the right kind of 'cable' to attach to jack. The awesome thing about Jack is that it allows multiple software applications to work seemlessly, so you can send audio out of aurdor, into an eq plugin, out to your analog compressor, back to a group channel in ardour...

Now, with that being said, that is my understanding of jack...it may have more features that I am not aware of.

mm0

Comment

Working...
                      X