Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make MySQL 5.1, Amarok2.1 and KDE 4.3 works?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make MySQL 5.1, Amarok2.1 and KDE 4.3 works?

Gentlemen’s,

For years I have been used Microsoft Windows to work. Like a lot of people around the world Windows was my first contact when I start to use a computer.
    Since 2000, I was introduced to a big promise: Linux! It’s free! Free of charge, free of insecurity, free of Microsoft’s Domination! Cool, I was thinking.
    But, since 2000 I try to use some Linux Flavors. Fedora, Red Hat, Kurumin and, recently, Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

But, always I have passed by some kind of “OMG, this still don’t work?”.
    Firstly the WinModens, after the poor openOffice functionality and now, I`m faced with a bad, really bad, bugs between MySQL and KDE!

Let me tell you what I have done for this last 4 days: I have been tried to install, on my notebook, a simple and basic configuration, Kubuntu with KDE 4.3, MySQL 5.1, Java 6 (JRE and JDK), Firefox, brOffice (a Brazilian version for OppenOffice) and Amarok (for a little fun).
    Gues what? I’m at Windows notepad writing this message because I couldn’t have my poor and basic configuration.

I have tried a lot of ways to get what I want, at least one thing didn’t work at all.

Or Amarok don’t worked (sometime not seeding my scrobbling to last.fm, sometimes not playing my music because of some malfunction or incompatibility of MySQL).
    Or MySQL don’t worked, explained: sometime mysql worked for a while, until I do an upgrade of KDE to 4.3.
    Or brOffice don`t appear in the menu
    Or KDE crashed at its started (something about desktop plasma).

So, I was thinking: I’m so stupid? Or Kubuntu isn’t for Human Beings at all??
    Sorry, but I really whant to know an answer for this question.
    For now, I will work with my old friend windows. It can be closed, but I never need to spending 4 expensive days trying to work.

Cordially,

Tired user

Re: How to make MySQL 5.1, Amarok2.1 and KDE 4.3 works?

Originally posted by TiredUser

For now, I will work with my old friend windows. It can be closed, but I never need to spending 4 expensive days trying to work.
    Soooooooooo, does your friend's Windows system have all the features that you were trying to load onto your laptop?

If Amarok was the only package that broke your heart, here's a suggestion -- alsaplayer. It won't do radio streams, but if all you really want to do is play music files from your own hard drive, it's a very simple and "just works" way to do it.

Comment

May I suggest that you install synaptic, it is far superior for installing packages compared to the default. I did not have any problems when I used it to install mysql, amarok or kde 4.3.
      Another option instead of Amarok, is to install Songbird, download it from their website, it's actually very good.
      I'm sorry I don't know anything about brOffice.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Originally posted by TiredUser

Soooooooooo, does your friend's Windows system have all the features that you were trying to load onto your laptop?

If Amarok was the only package that broke your heart, here's a suggestion -- alsaplayer. It won't do radio streams, but if all you really want to do is play music files from your own hard drive, it's a very simple and "just works" way to do it.
        Yes, With Windows System I can I play and scrobble using Windows Media Player. I also can work with my mysql databases and programming java using netbeans. Also I use MS Office sometimes without problems.

In fact, my problem was not only with Amarok. What I can't understand until now is the reason of some problems.

How I told to a friend: in one case, I have been installed Kubuntu 9.04 from the CD and put all my configurations before any actualization (that suggest by the system). Ok it works fine (except for Amarok that still didn’t scrobbling, but ok, we can live without this). But, when I did the suggest actualizations, plasma desktop stop to work. I tried again, but without success. What you suggest? Stay without any actualization?

I can see and understand how much Kubuntu is better than the first flavor of Linux that I used, but still have basic problems that make a person unproductive. This seems so JAVA to me: a lot of things, but nothing a bit different from the basic works without some ugly workaround.

Cordially,

Tired user

Comment

Originally posted by dtr
          May I suggest that you install synaptic, it is far superior for installing packages compared to the default. I did not have any problems when I used it to install mysql, amarok or kde 4.3.
          Another option instead of Amarok, is to install Songbird, download it from their website, it's actually very good.
          I'm sorry I don't know anything about brOffice.
          Hi,

I will try latter.
          For now I have a lot of work to finish. But thank you for you suggestion! =]

Comment

may I ask why use mysql? have you tried setting amarok up without it? It is not necessary to use it in amarok. That would simplify things immensely, for one.

the broffice packages could be mis-configured by their packagers - I am checking that out now to see, though sometimes menu entries don't show up until a logout/login. I'll grab the packages and check it out.

What specifically was wrong with openoffice ubuntu packages ?

When seeking some answers, more specific error messages or descriptions would be helpful.

Another thing to consider is that there are many other programs you can choose in all the different categories. You may find one that fits you better.

I also wouldn't wait 4 days to ask for help
            I just wasted an entire day simply reinstalling Vista on my boss's home computer, something I have never done before. It was actually my first ever experience with Vista. I wish I could have easily found a place like here to lend me a hand

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
              I just wasted an entire day simply reinstalling Vista on my boss's home computer, something I have never done before. It was actually my first ever experience with Vista.
              Did you take a shower afterwards? Plenty of soap? Do you feel 'clean' yet?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                I just wasted an entire day simply reinstalling Vista on my boss's home computer, something I have never done before. It was actually my first ever experience with Vista.
                Did you take a shower afterwards? Plenty of soap? Do you feel 'clean' yet?
                No, I am agnostic on OS's but I have my preferences

but I will no longer do windows 'support' anymore, that vista install was pretty awful as OS installs go. My boss (and friend) is a perfect person for using K(U)buntu with the tasks he does with his home computer. Haven't won him over yet, if there is a next time he gets at least a dual boot or I ain't helping The only real help I found that day was that his 512mb of ram is not enough lol, the machine came from the store with both vista and that pitiful amount of ram !

Comment

TiredUser I would also suggest telling us your system hardware, that often helps, especially with graphics problems
                  But, when I did the suggest actualizations, plasma desktop stop to work. I tried again, but without success. What you suggest? Stay without any actualization?
                  I don't 100% understand this part.

Comment

I can tell you firsthand I'm running nearly that exact same configuration flawlessly on a laptop. I have KDE 4.3, Java, Netbeans, Eclipse, even Intellij, MySQL, Glassfish, Tomcat and Amarok (version 2.1.1) running like a champ. I don't use open office. I still prefer MS Office running in VirtualBox.
                    linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

may I ask why use mysql? have you tried setting amarok up without it? It is not necessary to use it in amarok. That would simplify things immensely, for one.

the broffice packages could be mis-configured by their packagers - I am checking that out now to see, though sometimes menu entries don't show up until a logout/login. I'll grab the packages and check it out.
                      I need to use MySQL to deploy some applications that I have been developed recently. It's not just for Amarok database. But the kubuntu-desktop package have a dependency with mysql-common. This dependence creates some problem when I try to use MySQL 5.1 with KDE 4.3 and Amarok 2.1.

What specifically was wrong with openoffice ubuntu packages ?
                      Theres nothing wrong, but brOffice is more interesting for Portuguese speakers.

When seeking some answers, more specific error messages or descriptions would be helpful.
                      Yeah, I Know. I'll try again the next week and so I 'll post all the messages and problems.

Another thing to consider is that there are many other programs you can choose in all the different categories. You may find one that fits you better.
                      I learn this too. But I really need MySQL, because this is the DB that my client use.

I also wouldn't wait 4 days to ask for help
                      I just wasted an entire day simply reinstalling Vista on my boss's home computer, something I have never done before. It was actually my first ever experience with Vista. I wish I could have easily found a place like here to lend me a hand

In fact I didn't wait 4 days to ask for help. In this 4 days I search for looking in some foruns, but nothing help me to me.

There are places where you can ask and have a hand to help you with MS programs at least here in Brazil.

Thanks for you message,

Cordially,

Comment

TiredUser I would also suggest telling us your system hardware, that often helps, especially with graphics problems
                        But, when I did the suggest actualizations, plasma desktop stop to work. I tried again, but without success. What you suggest? Stay without any actualization?
                        I don't 100% understand this part.
                        What I mean is that some updates broken my installation. And I do not understand why until now.

Comment

Originally posted by ukchucktown
                          I can tell you firsthand I'm running nearly that exact same configuration flawlessly on a laptop. I have KDE 4.3, Java, Netbeans, Eclipse, even Intellij, MySQL, Glassfish, Tomcat and Amarok (version 2.1.1) running like a champ. I don't use open office. I still prefer MS Office running in VirtualBox.
                          Really Can you explain how did you get this? Do you have some package problems? What version of MySQL you are using? What did you install first? MySQL or Amarok?

Cordially,

Comment

I compile Amarok myself. I'm not running 2.2 (it's only a beta). It's the first 2.x version to support an external MySQL database. I run MySQL 5.0. I also don't install most Java development tools from the repository. I maintain a separate partition at /opt where I manage a number of packages I install myself including Netbeans, Eclipse and some other tools. I usually install application servers like Tomcat and Glassfish to /home. I have not hit any dependency problems with the packages mentioned above.
                            linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Great,

Can you explain how to compile Amarok? Or send me the a link about, please!

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                              X