This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu is super slow

There was an earlier time when I ran Ubuntu in virtualbox and gave it 886 MB of ram, and it was fast. Now I made Kubuntu its own 10 GB partition on my HD, and its so slow to boot, the mouse is laggy and everything runs slowly. Here are my specs:

2. 10 Ghrtz AMD Sempron

NVIDIA Graphics 8200 Card

2 GB of Ram

Why is it so slow?

Vista and Windows 7 run perfect, but its so slow, I'm going to get rid of it if I can't solve this problem.
    Also, do I need the GRUB loader? Can't Kubuntu just show up on the Windows Boot Loader?

Re: Kubuntu is super slow

Try to check out if you have enough free space on Kubuntu partition. You should have at least 5% free.
    Can't Kubuntu just show up on the Windows Boot Loader?
    Yes, it can, I know only the method, where you must do something during installation.

Short instruction: It is necessary to say during installation of Kubuntu (pressing Advanced button) where to install Grub (to partition with Kubuntu, not to MBR as default) and then to use windows freeware program bootpart for adding a Kubuntu line to boot.ini.
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

It sounds like it could be a video driver problem. What driver are you using for video, and how did you install it?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        It sounds like it could be a video driver problem. What driver are you using for video, and how did you install it?
        How would I find that? As I said earlier I do have a nVidia GeForce 8200M G card.

Comment

If you did not deliberately install a video driver, then it's probably struggling with the VESA driver or something like that.

Can you open KMenu>Applications>System>Hardware Drivers? If it works correctly, it will detect your Nvidia chip, and invite you to install the proprietary driver. Click "YES" or "OK" or whatever it takes, then be very patient with it -- it has to download the driver in the background but it doesn't give you visual feedback, so it appears that nothing is happening. Follow the prompts when they appear.

Unfortunately, sometimes nothing really is happening. If that turns out to be the case, there is guidance for manually installing the Nvidia driver here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...4892#msg164892

If you have to follow that, disregard the old version numbers, but follow the process. Current Nvidia driver information and downloads are available here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606

Comment

I'd like to add that after you get the nvidia driver installed, I think you have to reboot for it to take effect. Then open up the terminal, type: sudo nvidia-settings
            then enter your password, it is here where you can check and make changes to the configuration, Select the X Server Display Configuration, you then can select your Model, Resolution, then click apply and then click save to X configuration file.
            It should work fine after that.
            I'm not so sure how this will effect you overall experience of Kubuntu being slow (I have no idea why it would be slow for you)

Comment

I had the same problem. My solution was: change options in compiz fusion icon. Enable/Disable "Indirect rendering" or "Loose Binding"

Comment

I've decided to use Ubuntu instead. It works so much better.

Comment

Working...
                X