Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh boy. Won't recognize my root password (Compiz-Fusion failed install ?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh boy. Won't recognize my root password (Compiz-Fusion failed install ?)

I've been trying to follow this guide.

I'm using an nVIDIA card and after enabling Compiz-Fusion I don't see the title bars anymore (just like the guide says it *could* happen).

Great.

But after running "sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals -d 24" it won't recognize my root password ! WHAT DO I DO ? Should I reboot my PC ? But if I do, I'm stuck. Because when I turn it on, I always need to run "sudo pppoe-start" to enable my ADSL internet connection (how do I do that automatically anyway ?). Thank you.

Re: Oh boy. Won't recognize my root password (Compiz-Fusion failed install ?)

Originally posted by DSpider

I'm using an nVIDIA card and after enabling Compiz-Fusion I don't see the title bars anymore (just like the guide says it *could* happen).
    Problem #1

But after running "sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals -d 24" it won't recognize my root password ! WHAT DO I DO ?
    Problem #2

Because when I turn it on, I always need to run "sudo pppoe-start" to enable my ADSL internet connection (how do I do that automatically anyway ?).
    Problem #3

I would say #2 is most concerning and confusing -- let's deal with that one. What makes you think it does not recognize the root password? BTW, if you're going to try it again, do it like this:

Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
    when it asks for your root password, just type it in. You won't see any screen feedback whatsoever -- that is for security.

Post back with any error messages you see.

Comment

No, it just said:

[sudo] password for dspider:
      Sorry, try again.
      Sorry, try again.
      Sorry, try again.
      sudo: 3 incorrect password attempts

Must've been something wrong with my keyboard. Lack of visual feedback (aka the * symbol) is a bitch !

Tried manually typing "sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals -d 24" and I think it worked. It said:

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
      Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True" added to Screen "Screen0".
      Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
      New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

Should I reboot now ? I'm still not getting any title bars....

Comment

Yes -- just restart the X server (log out and back in).

Upon logging back in, you'll probably need to open the Konsole and enter
        Code:
        compiz --replace
        minimize that Konsole window (or open a second tab) and enter

Code:
        emerald --replace
        to run the Emerald window decorator.

Comment

I could only Alt-Tab to the terminal and after noticing garbage on the black screen my only option was to open a second tab (just like you suggested). Typed in "sudo reboot" and after the reboot everything is just peachy. Compiz-Fusion works and it's awesome.

About the root password... Hmmm... Maybe I was off by a letter or something. It's pretty dark in here and I have a black keyboard. Connect the dots and it may have just been my own damn fault. Silly, isn't it ?

I should probably mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thank you for your help.

PS: How do I set it to run pppoe-start at startup ? With root privileges of course (so I wouldn't have to type in the root password every time my computer starts). Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by DSpider

PS: How do I set it to run pppoe-start at startup ? With root privileges of course (so I wouldn't have to type in the root password every time my computer starts). Thank you.
            This is a little exercise in bash scripting -- not difficult, you can teach yourself with a little googling and forum searching. You need to write a short script (3 or 4 lines, probably) that executes the needed command, you need to make it executable with chmod, and you need to save it in the appropriate rc.d folder where other system startup scripts run.

This will get you started:

http://embraceubuntu.com/2005/09/07/...run-at-bootup/

Comment

Excuse me? Sudo does not need the ROOT password. What it needs is your USER password. Just an example, for instance, my root password is "13212" and my user password is "blah". So when i do a sudo something command, i type in "blah", not "13212". Makes sense?
              <br />Have YOU signed the Ubuntu code of Conduct? I did it at 10 AUG, 2009!

Comment

Working...
              X