Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Fatal Error in Synaptic Package Mgn::No installation/ uninstallation

Dear Kubuntu Users ,

I have got a fatal error in Synaptic Package Manager , every time I open the Synaptic it gives me this error:

E: Malformed line 58 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)
    E: The list of sources could not be read.
    Go to the repository dialogue to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report

And when ever I try to uninstall the Synaptic ot try to overwrite or upgrade Synaptic through the Terminal it always gives the same message that Malformed line 58 in source list (below is the message from the terminal window:
    rkadmin@rkadmin-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Why I tried using Terminal above because when I open the Add/Remove Package Manager , it also doesn't open because of the error in Synaptic Manager and it also shows me this error:
    Failed to check for installed and available applications

This is a major failure of your software management system. Please check for broken packages with synaptic, check the file permissions and correctness of the file '/etc/apt/sources.list' and reload the software information with: 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get install -f'.

A little history to what I have done and since when this fatal error is showing.
    I was trying to download the video compositing software called CINELERRA from http://cinelerra.org/ and they directed me to their deb repository to be added to my repository , which is this information

For athlon64 processors

AMD64 Debian packages are built by Valentina Messeri.
    To install the package add this line to your sources list:
    deb http://giss.tv/~vale/debian64 ./

Apt-source:
    deb-src http://giss.tv/~vale/debian64 ./

So i did add the above repository using add repository in Synaptic but somehow this didn't work as Synaptic couldn't recognise it so I did it again but this last time I just only added the url address without the deb infront of it that is only http://giss.tv/~vale/debian64 . and Since then I am getting the above stated error in line 58 in Synaptic :-
    Go to the repository dialogue to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

PLEASE PLEASE could anyone one help me to rectify this problem .

Many thanks

Update on Fatal Error in Synaptic Package Mgn::No installation/ uninstallation

Hi
    I tried to install Synaptic again with Terminal and this what happened ( I got the same error again ) :

rkadmin@rkadmin-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install synaptic
    [sudo] password for rkadmin:

Comment

Ugrade Info2: Fatal Error in Synaptic Package Mgn

Somehow I managed to open the Synaptic Package Manager but I am getting a new Error message now:

Could not download all repository indexes

The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct.
      Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release amd64 (20090420.1)/dists/jaunty/main/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
      Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release amd64 (20090420.1)/dists/jaunty/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
      Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
      Could you please tell me what I should do to get rid of this above error message . Please HELP

Comment

Re: Fatal Error in Synaptic Package Mgn::No installation/ uninstallation or upgrade

Post the contents of the file /etc/apt/sources.list

There is an error on line 58.

Comment

Re: Fatal Error in Synaptic Package Mgn::No installation/ uninstallation or upgrade

Yes I know the error in in 58 but ow to rectify it?

Comment

Originally posted by sunanima
            You'll have to open the file /etc/apt/sources.list and edit it, as root.

So, Alt-F2 "kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list", give your password, and it should open in your Kate editor. Put a # in front of line 58 (and if the next line also looks "non-standard" you'll need to do the same with it). Now "File, Save" and close kate, and then open synaptic and "Refresh" or "Reload", and you should be in good shape, unless there are other errors.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Originally posted by sunanima
              You'll have to open the file /etc/apt/sources.list and edit it, as root.

So, Alt-F2 "kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list", give your password, and it should open in your Kate editor. Put a # in front of line 58 (and if the next line also looks "non-standard" you'll need to do the same with it). Now "File, Save" and close kate, and then open synaptic and "Refresh" or "Reload", and you should be in good shape, unless there are other errors.
              Many thanks dibl for your guidance . The Synaptic is up and running . Hope this threat may help others in future

Comment

Glad it worked -- you are welcome.

Please open the original post, and put a "SOLVED" at the front of the title, so others who search may find it.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X