This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

want to replace thunderbird by kmail

I am on 8.04 and using TB for email. Kmail is installed but apparently not configured. It also doesn't appear in Kmenu. Could anyone help with the transition

Re: want to replace thunderbird by kmail

Did you install Kmail by its self? That can be done, but Kmail is actually part of the Kontact PIM suite.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I just checked on adept and found it was installed.

Comment

Edit K Menu and add an entry for Kmail manually. In the command: box type kmail %u

Comment

THen, in SystemSettings (Default Applications) set KMail as the default email client, if it isn't already.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

In console when trying to run kmail, I now get
            albert@ALBERT:~$ kmail
            ERROR: Communication problem with kmail, it probably crashed.
            albert@ALBERT:~$
            adept says it is installed

Comment

Add it to the K Menu.

Right-click the K Menu button and select Menu Editor. Click the + sign next to Internet to expand the list. Click on New Item and type KMail in the pop-up and click OK. In the next pop-up, type KMail in the Description box and in the Command box type kmail %U (note, there is a space between kmail and the %U)

Comment

Please don't get insulted, but... Have you initialized kmail by filling out the configuration options under "settings"? If so, did you leave something out under the assumption that the default setting was probably okay?

BTW, I used kmail for years (before switching to gmail) without using the rest of kdepim, so it CAN be done.

Comment

Working...
                X