This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uninstalling non-Ubuntu package components

A while ago I installed a playout software package called Campcaster. I've since removed it from this machine but noticed that apache was still there. I didn't have any problem with that and just left it. Now I just noticed that it also installed other components which didn't get removed upon uninstall. The package description reads, in part: "This package contains the server components of Campcaster: a storage server, a scheduler daemon, and a web interface." I don't care either way about apache, but how do I clean up or remove the other parts?

Re: Uninstalling non-Ubuntu package components

How was the Campcaster package installed originally, and how did you uninstall it?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I first added their repositories (they're still there) and clicked install, later uninstall, just like with (K)Ubuntu packages. I don't recall if there was a purge option.

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you using?

Comment

Ubuntu 8.04.3
          BTW: it was this line in my log which got my attention:
          Code:
          03/09/09 07:48:01	SCO	/USR/SBIN/CRON[5453]	(www-data) CMD (/opt/campcaster/var/Campcaster/storageServer/var/cron/transportCron.php)
          It repeats every two minutes and although it might not be taking up a lot of resources, it's starting to annoy me.

Comment

You selected and installed the campcaster application via Adept Package Manager or Synaptic (which one)? You said you added the repository, so one was used. If you have Synaptic Package Manager, use it. If you don't have it, install it. Then, re-install campcaster. That done, use Synaptic to mark it for full removal (purge). This should remove it completely.

Comment

I installed it with the Adept Manager which is what I generally use. Campcaster has two versions, one it Dapper, the other is Feisty. I am running Hardy. Sorry, when I said the repository was still in my sources I hadn't noticed that they were grayed out. I can re-enable the repository, but would it be OK to install a Dapper version into Hardy? I know it won't run, but that doesn't matter and perhaps for this purpose your idea is good. I just need to know that it is (relatively) safe. Please advise.

PS: I know that a complete reinstall would probably do it, but I wasn't prepared to do that just now. I had hoped that perhaps there were some other tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
                ...but would it be OK to install a Dapper version into Hardy?
                I had hoped that perhaps there were some other tricks.
                No, you don't want to install a Dapper version into Hardy. The fact that components of the original install are still around isn't really a problem. Your observation of the log entry:
                03/09/09 07:48:01 SCO /USR/SBIN/CRON[5453] (www-data) CMD (/opt/campcaster/var/Campcaster/storageServer/var/cron/transportCron.php)
                indicates that a cron process was generated with the original install and is still 'active.' That probably isn't an issue in and of its self.

Open a console and type:
                Code:
                sudo updatedb
                This will update the file database used by Kubuntu. Then type:
                Code:
                locate *ampcaster
                This (should) list all occurences where Campcaster is a part of a file and/or directory name. Copy this output to a file so you can refer to it. You can then selectively remove these files/directories from the CLI.

Comment

Here is the result:
                  Code:
                  $ sudo updatedb
                  sudo: updatedb: command not found
                  $ locate *ampcaster
                  bash: locate: command not found
                  I checked Adept and saw that locate was not installed which I then did.
                  Apparently updatedb and locate are part of the same package. (Live and learn )
                  There was a long wait after issuing the updatedb command and locate brought results after that.
                  Code:
                  $ sudo updatedb
                  $ locate *ampcaster
                  /opt/campcaster
                  /opt/campcaster/var/Campcaster
                  I then did the following:
                  Code:
                  /opt$ sudo rm -r campcaster/
                  Looking at my system log, the chron job is still running. Will that go away when I reboot, or can I search it out elsewhere? I'll send this forum message, then reboot and see.

Edit: Thanks for your help so far, the major part of my quest has been solved. However, after rebooting, the chron job is still there every 2 minutes. I can accept it, but where do those live? (I might just go to their house and have a little talk. )

Comment

You're welcome. As to cron, just open a console and type:
                    Code:
                    man cron
                    to read up on how cron is enabled and where the files are kept.

Comment

Working...
                    X