Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm new to linux - how do I install programs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new to linux - how do I install programs?

This is to everyone new to linux and have successfully installed (in this case) Kubuntu.

One of the basic problems I've seen in KFN, are posts concerning the installation (how do I) of downloaded .deb files. Let me state first: Installing from .deb files 'manually' is not recommended if you are new to linux.

Kubuntu has it's own 'package manager' that you should be using to search for, select, and install desired programs. If the program you want to install isn't found when searching the package manager, it means either, 1) it isn't available for the version of Kubuntu you are using, or 2) it's in a repository that you don't have activated, or that you need to add to the listing of active repositories before it can be identified and made available for selection and installation.

If you happen to be using the latest Kubuntu - Juanty Jackalope or Karmic Koala - the package manager provided is kpackagekit, and unlike the earlier KPackage Manager, isn't as user friendly. It is suggested by many that the first thing you do after installing Kubuntu, is to download the synaptic package manager. If it isn't identified in kpackagekit, open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    This will download and install the Synaptic package manager. You'll find it easy to use.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: I'm new to linux - how do I install programs?

I agree 100% with all the suggestions made by Snowhog (the only little thing is that KPackageKit is IMO not mature enough, and partially broken in Jaunty). Great work Snowhog!

Comment

Working...
    X