This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

install edubuntu on kubuntu?

Hello, kinda new to ubuntu, i need to know if i can do an install of kubuntu and then put edubuntu on, i cannot get the installer to run for edubuntu. btw, both are the latest version 9.04, thanx for any help..

Re: install edubuntu on kubuntu?

First, what are the specs of your system - processor type, amount of RAM, video card make/model.

Did you follow the instructions:
    Installation

Rather than an operating system on its own, Edubuntu 9.04 provides an educational application "layer" on top of an existing Ubuntu desktop. Edubuntu 9.04 is an Add-on on top of regular Ubuntu desktop. Start by downloading and installing Ubuntu 9.04, then you may install the Edubuntu educational layer one of the following ways:

Download the Ubuntu 9.04 Educational Addon .iso file and burn it to a CD. After inserting the CD-ROM, a menu will popup and you'll be able to see and install the various educational packages.
    For users with a fast Internet connection it is possible to instead just go to "Add/Remove..." in the Applications menu and select educational software from the Education and Games categories.
    Note that Edubuntu isn't an OS, but an educational application "layer" as stated above. You have to have an installed *Ubuntu OS already.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

hi, not to sound unappreciative, but this i know, question was maybe a little vague, i installed kubuntu, i had tried ubuntu, then put the edubuntu cd in and it asked if i wanted to install edubuntu, i remember in the pakage selection there was an option to install edubuntu on kubuntu, is this really possible, and if so, how can i get the installer to run automatically. reasonfor kubuntu instead of ubuntu is i and my son prefer kde, i use suse linux on my box, and he has used it and likes it. sorry if any of this was unclear, but the specs of the system are far above requirements, and its not a hardware issue, but just to get the installer to run. thanx

Comment

No problem. If you have a reasonably fast internet connection, have you tried the other method:
        For users with a fast Internet connection it is possible to instead just go to "Add/Remove..." in the Applications menu and select educational software from the Education and Games categories.

Comment

acualey on my box Kubuntu 9.04 jj KDE 4.2.2 it's located in package collections at the bottom of the dropdown list of catagoreys.

it's the first 2 .....1 for ubuntu and 1 for Kubuntu

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

i dont have that box setup for internet, son is only 6 and i dont want him on it, :-). but i'll see what i can do, just thought if i could get the installer to run, i wouldnt have to carry his puter upstairs, lol. just being lazy, thanks

Comment

install "kdeedu" and "edubuntu-desktop-kde" packages. "kdeedu" is not from edubuntu but also contains nice educational programs.
              <br />Have YOU signed the Ubuntu code of Conduct? I did it at 10 AUG, 2009!

Comment

Originally posted by looneybob1
                i dont have that box setup for internet, ... i wouldnt have to carry his puter upstairs, lol. just being lazy, thanks
                So the PC isn't connected to the Internet. That may be the problem right there (might be). Maybe should have asked earlier, but when you say "i cannot get the installer to run for edubuntu.", what exactly does happen?

What I'm thinking, is that the installer is setup to need an active internet connection to download needed pieces??

Comment

it doesnt need internet, i re-did the install starting with ubuntu, 9.04, then did the edubuntu, the addon cd started right up, and did the install perfectly, my son threw a fit, then refused to touch the machine, lol. i am waiting now for suse educational os to come out. the kid just doesnt like gnome i guess. thanx for the help guys, have a gr8 day.

Comment

Well, at least you've got what you want installed. That's what counts.

Comment

Working...
                    X