Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where can i get a full list of bash commands?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where can i get a full list of bash commands?

"help" brings up some, but i can see some missing, like "rm" or "sudo"
    <br />Have YOU signed the Ubuntu code of Conduct? I did it at 10 AUG, 2009!

Re: where can i get a full list of bash commands?

rm and sudo are not shell commands, they are system programs.
    They can be found in /usr/bin or /bin.
    For information on basic commands, there are many resources, two of which are:

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/

They are geared more to ubuntu itself, but have basic information applicable to kubuntu as well.

man command or info command will give you more information on them, though, in my opinion, not always in comprehensible form.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Simply enter help in a Konsole to get a list of built-ins. Beyond that, your best bet is probably http://www.linuxcommand.org/. As doctordruidphd mentioned, many of the commands are actually system programs or scripts.

If you want more guidance, you might try the Command line documentation section of my post, HOWTO find Kubuntu's documentation. You might also read Qqmike's tutorial Commands at Konsole: Beginners.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention The GNU Bash Reference Manual. It's always one of the first packages I install in Kubuntu, and you can get your copy by entering the commands below in Konsole.

Code:
      sudo apt-get install bash-doc
      (enter your login password when prompted)
      info bash
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
        Simply enter help in a Konsole to get a list of built-ins. Beyond that, your best bet is probably http://www.linuxcommand.org/. As doctordruidphd mentioned, many of the commands are actually system programs or scripts.

If you want more guidance, you might try the Command line documentation section of my post, HOWTO find Kubuntu's documentation. You might also read Qqmike's tutorial Commands at Konsole: Beginners.
        You can also get details for a specific shell command by using
        help <command>
        i.e.
        jerry@SonyK910:~$ help bg
        bg: bg [job_spec ...]
        Move jobs to the background.

Place the jobs identified by each JOB_SPEC in the background, as if they
        had been started with `&'. If JOB_SPEC is not present, the shell's notion
        of the current job is used.

Exit Status:
        Returns success unless job control is not enabled or an error occurs.
        jerry@SonyK910:~$
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Books are also not to be forgotten. O'Reilly (Publisher) 'Learning the bash Shell' (mine is the Second Edition) is a good reference to have.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm also giving thumbs up for "Learning the bash Shell." It's a great book. The latest edition is the third edition.
            linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

Working...
            X