This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped my external hard drive....

Is there any type of drive integrity tool I could test my drive with in Kubuntu to see if it is done for? It powers up and works fine. But I have not tried to write any data to it until I know it's passed a test or two.

Re: Dropped my external hard drive....

The Bonus FAQ in the FAQs linked in my signature has a link to the SMART How-To. I don't think SMART checks for dents .

But, I would run the "long" test with SMART (overnight, perhaps) and see what you get.

Comment

Forgot to mention it... It's an ide/eide Maxtor drive inside the enclosure. So SMART wouldn't pick up on this I think.

Funny you mention dent... One of the flimsy sides got it a little. It only fell a couple feet. But terminal velocity on hard drives is like 0.2 meters, isn't it?

Comment

Hmmm -- I would think if it shows up with fdisk then smartmontools will find it.

Here's something I saw the other day that might be of interest. The new Parted Magic 4.4 Live CD has a graphical version of smartmontools. I keep thinking one night before I go to bed I'm going to boot it and run the long test on the hdd that I'm most nervous about.

http://partedmagic.com/

Comment

Working...
        X