This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K3B

What is the easy way to set the bit rate for ripping mp3's. It seems this would be a basic feature, but I can't find it. I have tried Kubuntu on and off, but never for ripping, because I didn't like the tools. K3b is cool for a lot of things, but ripping isn't one of them. Is there a better tool than K3b, namely one that has built in variable settings when it comes to bitrate and cbr vs. vbr?

Re: K3B

You can set mp3 ripping settings (including bitrate) in the lame plugin settings in K3b>Settings>Configure K3b>Plugins>AudioEncoders, click the "wrench" icon next to the lame plugin.

Comment

The K3b is a CD burner (and ripper) front-end. It is using external applications to make the "dirty" work.

If you want to change the ripping settings: K3b > Settings > Configure K3b > Plugins

mp3 (lame): Audio Encoder (K3b External Audio Encoder) > Configure

MP3 (Lame) > Edit

The official repositories /1/ are full of ripper front-ends and more could be found from the PPA repositories /1/ . Few picks:

KAudioCreator
      KAudioCreator is a tool for audio extraction (ripping) and encoding.
      It can keep your WAV files, or convert them to Ogg/Vorbis, MP3, or FLAC.
      It also searches CDDB to retrieve the information of the disk.

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=107645
      KAudioCreator > Settings > Configure KAudioCreator > Encoder > MP3 Lame Standard > Configure

Command line interface: RipIt

man ripit
      NAME:
      ripit - Perl script to create .flac .ogg .mp3 or .m4a (aac) files from an audio CD.

SYNOPSIS:
      ripit [options]

DESCRIPTION:

This Perl script makes it a lot easier to create "mp3" files from an audio CD. RipIT supports Flac, Lame, Oggenc and Faac. Artist and song titles are retrieved with the CDDB_get.pm and it is possible to submit and edit CDDB entries at freedb.org. Hidden tracks and ghost songs are detected and splitted into chunks of sound, a toc (cue) file permits to burn the wavs with text and no gaps in DAO mode. Several encoder formats and qualities can be used at the same time and encoded into different directories.
      Again: You give the lame options if you want to use non defaults.

The Lame > Lame wiki

man lame
      NAME
      lame - create mp3 audio files

SYNOPSIS
      lame [options] <infile> <outfile>

DESCRIPTION

LAME is a program which can be used to create compressed audio files. (Lame ain’t an MP3 encoder). These audio files can be played back by popular MP3 players such as mpg123 or madplay. To read from stdin, use "-" for <infile>. To write to stdout, use a "-" for <outfile>.

/1/ > FAQ: Repositories
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Rog131@

Dude, where do you have all this stuff! You're like the jukebox of Kubuntu information!!
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I got so sick of k3b not working that I started looking for a command line ripper...found 'abcde', and I won't ever use k3b again. I had to install some other apps to make it work, but it's as simple as 'insert cd'...type 'abcde' in konsole. Of course that's after getting it set up, which could be a bit of a pain...

mm0
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

For the interested: Google search result on: linux abcde "A Better CD Encoder"
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Dude, where do you have all this stuff! You're like the jukebox of Kubuntu information!!
              lol Snowhog

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
                The K3b is a CD burner (and ripper) front-end. It is using external applications to make the "dirty" work.

If you want to change the ripping settings: K3b > Settings > Configure K3b > Plugins

mp3 (lame): Audio Encoder (K3b External Audio Encoder) > Configure

MP3 (Lame) > Edit

The official repositories /1/ are full of ripper front-ends and more could be found from the PPA repositories /1/ . Few picks:

KAudioCreator
                KAudioCreator is a tool for audio extraction (ripping) and encoding.
                It can keep your WAV files, or convert them to Ogg/Vorbis, MP3, or FLAC.
                It also searches CDDB to retrieve the information of the disk.

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=107645
                KAudioCreator > Settings > Configure KAudioCreator > Encoder > MP3 Lame Standard > Configure

Command line interface: RipIt

man ripit
                NAME:
                ripit - Perl script to create .flac .ogg .mp3 or .m4a (aac) files from an audio CD.

SYNOPSIS:
                ripit [options]

DESCRIPTION:

This Perl script makes it a lot easier to create "mp3" files from an audio CD. RipIT supports Flac, Lame, Oggenc and Faac. Artist and song titles are retrieved with the CDDB_get.pm and it is possible to submit and edit CDDB entries at freedb.org. Hidden tracks and ghost songs are detected and splitted into chunks of sound, a toc (cue) file permits to burn the wavs with text and no gaps in DAO mode. Several encoder formats and qualities can be used at the same time and encoded into different directories.
                Again: You give the lame options if you want to use non defaults.

The Lame > Lame wiki

man lame
                NAME
                lame - create mp3 audio files

SYNOPSIS
                lame [options] <infile> <outfile>

DESCRIPTION

LAME is a program which can be used to create compressed audio files. (Lame ain’t an MP3 encoder). These audio files can be played back by popular MP3 players such as mpg123 or madplay. To read from stdin, use "-" for <infile>. To write to stdout, use a "-" for <outfile>.

/1/ > FAQ: Repositories
                Thanks for the help. I looked in the K3b settings and did not find a setting to change there. I know it annoys some Linux people to reference Win, but the applications I have used in Win had a drop down box where you could select the bit rate and the option of VBR or CBR. I don't mind typing in the options, but don't know the way to do it and what the settings mean. Is there a guide?

Comment

if you coulden find eney plugin seting's for lame in K3b you may not have lame installed yet!
                  it is NOT instaled by default!!...............look hear and read carfuley.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hey, now I'm confused. I've been ripping my CDs (mostly to Ogg since acquiring a Meizu, but I seem to remember MP3 is a similar process) with k3b for quite a while. Before Kubuntu and then some.

It has *always* worked, and the encoding settings can be reached in the ripping dialogue as well as in the options as described above. Right now I have no CDs to check and document with, but look at the tabs/buttons in the ripping dialogue, right before you press the button to start ripping - one of them should be giving you options for format, encoding rate, etc..

Comment

About mp3 support (at here)

As default i'm installing the kubuntu-restricted-extras:
                      Commonly used restricted packages
                      This package depends on some commonly used packages in the Kubuntu
                      multiverse repository.

Installing this package will pull in support for MP3 playback and
                      decoding, Java runtime environment, Flash plugin, DVD playback, and LAME
                      (to create compressed audio files).

How to's

> HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help
                      > Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

The > HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help has a link to the > Kubuntu Guide. And there (Jaunty version):

6.8.1.1.1 Install MP3 support for K3b

Due to licensing requirements, mp3 capabilities for K3b must be installed separately. (Note: this package is automatically installed as part of kubuntu-restricted-extras). Install the libk3b3-mp3 package: sudo apt-get install libk3b3-extracodecs
                      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

My issue wasn't in setting the options for MP3's, it just failed for unknown reasons. Even with the default settings. It was throwing an extra '/' in tha pat (looked something like /home/steve/music/library//somesong.mp3), but I was told that probably wouldn't cause a problem...either way, life is much easier now with abcde.

mm0
                        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Working...
                        X