This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not seeing my microphone.

KMix seems to recognize it and all, but using it is not possible. It seems so, i've only tried it in Audacity so far.
    <br />Have YOU signed the Ubuntu code of Conduct? I did it at 10 AUG, 2009!

Re: Not seeing my microphone.

I was not able to get my internal microphone work on Acer Aspire One D150-1 so I used external instead, maybe it could be workaround for you too.
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

I had a similar problem the other day. I had to go to the console and use "alsamixer" (just type alsamixer) and turn on capture. While in alsamixer, press tab to until "capture" is highighted in the view menu then use left/right arrow to scroll to the capture bars and hit space bar to turn them on.

Comment

I'm also unable to use my internal microphone at present. If I click on Settings > Configure Channels in KMix it will offer me options for 'Front Mic' (the minijack microphone socket at the front of my laptop case) and line inputs, but no 'Internal Mic' option.

My ATI Radeon 3470 HD graphics card has an Intel sound module built in. This uses the snd-hda-intel driver under Linux, as most modern machines do. However, different manufacturers tweak the sound module in different ways depending on what inputs and outputs they are building in. By default, the snd-hda-intel driver will try to figure out your particular machine's inputs and outputs by looking at the BIOS settings when booting. However, it doesn't always get it right, as in my case.

Enter Takashi Iwai. He is trying to provide the correct driver configurations for every type of machine he can get his hands on. Try the following steps:

- If you haven't already, install the Alsamixer GUI by typing the following into Konsole:
        Code:
         sudo apt-get install alsamixergui
        then entering your password.

- Open the Alsamixer GUI (it's under 'Multimedia' in the Applications section of the Kickoff menu). At the top in the centre it will state the name of the chip used by your sound device.

- Takashi's list of available configurations is at http://free-electrons.com/kerneldoc/...io-Models.txt. Find your chip, and see if your make or model of computer is listed underneath. If it is, you may be in luck!

- If your make or model is listed, the next step is to edit your ALSA configuration file. This needs to be done with administrative privileges (i.e. using sudo); one way of doing this is to enter the following into Konsole:
        Code:
        sudo kate /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
        - Add the following to the bottom of the alsa-base.conf file:
        Code:
        # load configuration for my machine
        options snd-hda-intel model=<your model name as given in Takashi's list>
        For example, if your machine is an Acer Aspire 9810 you would enter 'model=acer-aspire', without the quotes.

- Save the file and reboot your machine. All being well, the next time you open up KMix you should be able to see channels for your internal microphone, or be able to add them from Settings > Configure Channels.

If that doesn't work, see Takashi's notes at http://free-electrons.com/kerneldoc/...a/HD-Audio.txt (section 'Capture Problems'). You can undo any changes by removing the lines you added from the alsa-base.conf file, or by simply adding a '#' at the start of the second line (this symbol at the start tells the driver to ignore that line, allowing you to add comments to the file).

Hope this helps!
        Nathan

Comment

Working...
        X