This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble booting the ISO

I set the computer to only boot from a CD in BIOS but when I put the CD in it says "Error reading disk insert CD and press ENTER" I tried both drives and two different CDs but the same thing keeps happening. I was really looking forward to using Kubuntu but for some reason the darn CD won't boot. Help please?

Re: Trouble booting the ISO

1) Does the CD work in another computer?
    2) Is the CD one you made yourself? Are you sure it is right? Look at "BurningIsoHowto" on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I did get the CD to boot. Now I need more help. I went to "Start Kubuntu without changing you hard drive, and it listed a bunch of things marking [OK] on each side and stopped at blutooth. After waiting it sent me a wierd message and prompted me to type "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" to disable the message. What do I do now.

Comment

Have you got any bluetooth device connected that you use? Or do you have none?
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Nada.

Comment

Have you got a TV card?

What version are you installing? 9.04?

Comment

I installed Jaunty.

Yes I do have a TV card but it runs just fine with it in.

I did a trouble shoot and found out that it was my netgear wireless USB adapter. So now I have Kubuntu working but I cannot access the internet. I have another one but I couldn't figure out how to install the software to run it or any software off of a CD. Also is there a list of USB adapters that work with Kubuntu somewhere?

Comment

Might provide insight:
                WifiDocs WiFiHowTo - Wi-Fi WLAN wireless home networking information
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am almost there but this page is giberish to me: http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/

All I know is that both adapters are 802.11g. I cannot tell which huge group of random letters to look at. I don't know if they are model numbers or what they are. So please continue to help the new guy. (me)

Comment

I have had a problem with installs stopping at bluetooth. This was just over a year ago and I think it was with 8.04 but it was happening with a number of other distributions as well. I was desperate to get Linux on that machine so I tried quite a few and they all stopped at the same place despite there not being any bluetooth devices on the machine. I finally traced the problem to a faulty internal USB card reader. Unplugging the reader did the trick. All flavours of Linux could install after that without stopping at bluetooth. This might not be your particular problem but I just wanted to alert you to the fact that bluetooth is tied in with USB. By the way, this machine originally ran Windows-XP just fine so it took a while to trace the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by colin012
                      I am almost there but this page is giberish to me: http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/

All I know is that both adapters are 802.11g. I cannot tell which huge group of random letters to look at. I don't know if they are model numbers or what they are. So please continue to help the new guy. (me)
                      That page looks like it's about wpa which is about security.
                      The 802.11g is a standard that is OS independent. The real concern for Linux compatibility is the chipset. The link that Snowhog posted talks about that.

You can get info on what you have connected to USB by typing "lsusb" on the command line. An important piece of information is the vendor ID. I've found that putting that number into Google can ferret out the chipset and thus compatibility and availability of drivers. Hopefully you can get the rest of the instructions you need from the howto or someone here who is more knowledgable.

Comment

It is interesting that 1) you have a TV card and 2) talk has turned to USB.

There was a bug, with Intrepid, where Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB 2 (and other Hauppauge cards) caused some trouble. It was reported in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/262927 . It produced the same problem in Mandriva and was thought to be a general a general kernel problem.

One post said: workaround from pvrusb2 mailing list (http://www.isely.net/pipermail/pvrus...er/001918.html)

aarne@mythtv:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/pvrusb2
                        options pvrusb2 initusbreset=0

Comment

Working...
                        X