Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back from from the past: Many new unfamiliar things.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from from the past: Many new unfamiliar things.

Hello everybody, I somehow managed to boot my undead Pentium4 machine.
    Installed the newest non beta version of kubuntu. Some changes are too big for me, others are quite welcome.

On the plus side, KDE4.3 is a big improvement since KDE4.0 that i tried some time ago.

now to the point:

where has the terminals gone? I mean those when you press [ctrl] + [alt] + {[f1] ... [f6]}?
    The only one is the 7th one (X apparently). How do i bring them back? I want them back like in versions before. I hope this is not too much to ask.

Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Re: Back from from the past: Many new unfamiliar things.

You have Konsole, right? In applications->system. You can start multiple sessions inside it. That makes up for that.
    <br />Have YOU signed the Ubuntu code of Conduct? I did it at 10 AUG, 2009!

Comment

unfortunately such things don't work when your monitor is saying "change your resolution to 1280x1024". And [ctrl] + [alt] + [backspace] doesn't seem to be killing X anymore.

yeah, i know, my monitor is very picky, but not everything out there runs in a window. And I like to run openGL apps in fullscreen.

So is there a way to get {tty1...tty6} back? I kind of miss them.
      // Brings back memories of searching the web with lynx how to fix X after I break it ...
      Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

TTY1 - TTY6 works here just fine.

In order to get crtl+alt+backspace to kill the X session, add the following to your xorg.conf
        Code:
        Section "ServerFlags"
        	Option	"DontZap"	"False"
        EndSection
        If you'd rather use the GUI, System Settings->Display
        Check "Ctrl+Alt+Backspace restarts the xserver"

Comment

Thanks for the "DontZap" -> False tip

Unfortunately my {tty1 ... tty6} Are completely empty and black.
          Must be because my undead computer. (The motherboard doesn't look too good)

I might have messed up the grub boot option. Here's the entry:
          Code:
          title      Tiesiog Linux, kernel 2.6.28-14-generic
          root      (hd0,4) #69da607a-b839-46d2-909f-61ce7f0db5de #69da607a-b839-46d2-909f-61ce7f0db5de
          kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic root=UUID=69da607a-b839-46d2-909f-61ce7f0db5de ro quiet splash
          initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-14-generic                              
          boot
          Maybe I have to add/remove some flags here?

Comment

Originally posted by Gediminas2
            What are you expecting to see when you drop into one of these tty sessions? You should see a prompt. Are you?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Originally posted by Gediminas2
              What are you expecting to see when you drop into one of these tty sessions? You should see a prompt. Are you?
              I expect seeing a gray line of text saying `uname -n`" login:"
              But all I see is black. Any idea how to fix this?

Comment

After you installed 9.04, did you active the repositories (and unselect the CD-ROM - if still checked) and check for updates?

So you get a tty session console when you press Ctl+Alt+F1-F6, yes? And there is no prompt of any kind? Are you able to type in the console session??
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I've updated.

and no, nothing i type is visible. in either {tty1..tty6} or {tty8..tty10}. Only the num lock indicator on the keyboard changes as i press num lock.

As if all the tty were reserved for an X server

Comment

I think it is a screen resolution issue, as I have the same thing on my 32 inch lcd tv that I had to finagle to get the native resolution to be used

I think you have to pass a custom figure in grub

try adding vga=794 (or 795) to the kernel line (of yor current kernel) in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Comment

Working...
                    X