This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing tar.bz2 files

can any one tell how to install software from .tar.bz2 installation files. i have downloaded vlc-0.9.2.tar.bz2 and pidgen-2.5.8.tar.bz2 file but got no clue on how to install these softwares.
    I am using Kubuntu 9.04. and i got no clue what so ever . i am new to Linux. so please instruct me . I am using Kubuntu 9.04. and i got no clue what so ever . i am new to Linux. so please instruct me .

Re: Installing tar.bz2 files

Please do not "multi-post" the same question in multiple boards. It's considered poor "netiquete". Stick with one board. If it is not the correct place, a Forum Moderator will move it. Posting the same question in more than one board in the Forum results in disjointed responses.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

tar.bz2 is like an archive. Like a zip file... Normally, you should install stuff using apt-get... In pidgin's case it's easier. Just type "sudo apt-get install pidgin" in Konsole.
      <br />Have YOU signed the Ubuntu code of Conduct? I did it at 10 AUG, 2009!

Comment

i typed sudo apt-get pidgen in Konsole and i am getting the following:
        E: Type 'https://launchpad.net/~c-korn/+archive/vlc' is not known on line 48 insource list /etc/apt/sources.list
        E: The list of sources could not be read.

Comment

Originally posted by anup807
          i typed sudo apt-get pidgen in Konsole and i am getting the following:
          E: Type 'https://launchpad.net/~c-korn/+archive/vlc' is not known on line 48 insource list /etc/apt/sources.list
          E: The list of sources could not be read.
          type "sudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list" and remove line 48.
          <br />Have YOU signed the Ubuntu code of Conduct? I did it at 10 AUG, 2009!

Comment

thank u did the way u said. It is downloading some file. What about VLC player and how in install from tar.bz file?

Comment

Your FIRST choice should always be to install from a Package Manager. Your LAST choice should be to install from a .tar

Look at "Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers" on http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0 Scroll down to Question #11

You can get VLC the same way that you have used. Connect to the internet, open a Terminal and input the command:
              sudo apt-get install vlc
              "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

that all is ok. but atleast tell how to install from tar.bz2 file. i unarcheived those files. then what? if one wants to install that way then how it should be done?
                i am new to linux,Sir, so please tell me how to do it that way....

Comment

Originally posted by anup807
                  that all is ok. but atleast tell how to install from tar.bz2 file. i unarcheived those files. then what? if one wants to install that way then how it should be done?
                  i am new to linux,Sir, so please tell me how to do it that way....
                  Newbies should not even try to "install" tar.bz files, but use the package manager.
                  Tarbals mostly contain SOURCE not binary of the program. If you want to change something hardcoded in the program, fine, get the source tarbal, make changes and compile.

Otherwise use the package manager to get what you need.
                  Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

atleast tell how to install from tar.bz2 file
                    Look at:
                    1) How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu! on http://amitech.50webs.com/installing/index.php.html
                    2) Installing Software in Ubuntu on http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

...and perhaps
                    3) Download the Linux Starter Pack on http://www.tuxradar.com/linuxstarterpack - from Page 100
                    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

anup@ubuntu:~$ cd /home/anup/Documents/firefox
                      anup@ubuntu:~/Documents/firefox$ ./comfigure
                      bash: ./comfigure: No such file or directory
                      anup@ubuntu:~/Documents/firefox$ ./configure
                      bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
                      anup@ubuntu:~/Documents/firefox$ make
                      make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

[b]what does this mean?? how to solve this prob??

Comment

To proceed you must have the compiler tools installed. They all come with the package build-essential, available in Synaptic
                        Have you got build-essential installed? If not connect to the internet, open a Terminal and input:
                        sudo apt-get install build-essential

Comment

yes i got build essential...
                          anup@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install build-essential
                          [sudo] password for anup:
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree
                          Reading state information... Done
                          build-essential is already the newest version.
                          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 54 not upgraded.

Comment

You really are heading for trouble and appear determined to get there.

Do one thing first: BACKUP your important files to TWO different media (CDROM, USB, DVD, second HD, etc...) BEFORE you start trying to unzip tar files and compiling or moving binaries.

Just remember, with your experience your chances of failure are close to 100%, and once you add files from outside the repository it will be very difficult to impossible to support you because your system will be in an unknown state if things "go south".
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

i plannin to install it on another comp which doesnt have a net connection..
                              so to install vlc and pidgen i want to get an idea as to how to install it through tar.bz2 files.

Comment

Working...
                              X