This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Has It Failed For XXXX time?

I install SUSE and it fails. I then switched to using Ubuntu but that crashed after ten minutes use. I then try Kubuntu and it installs fine but whenever I log in, (is that right), it shows the mouse and nothing else, just the wallpaper.

Is there a flavour of Linux that works and has an open desktop look which I can custom like MAC or Windows?

I've been stuck trying to get Linux to work for over two months.

Re: Why Has It Failed For XXXX time?

We can't help until you give us a few more details, especially your hardware specification. I will assume this is a fresh install of Kubuntu 9.04 from a CD image. If you can login and get a working mouse you are close to a working system. The only thing not working is Plasma. Are you observing a mouse with a checkerboard background but the mouse and keyboard function? Try pressing ctrl-alt-f1 together to access a terminal. Does it work? Also post your hardware information.
    linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

*Sweat* this is a clean install on an Acer Aspire one Netbook, (I hate XP on this netbook. I don't mind desktop but Linux is easier and more fun to use). I can open up a terminal.

I'm installing the latest version.

Comment

I use Kubuntu 9.04 on Acer Aspire One D 150-1 and almost everything works fine - KDE, plasma, desktop effects, webcamera, external microphone, Skype, USB speakers, sound, video, flash etc. No problems with installation on two the same notebooks. I installed from USB, prepared with unebootin. I have notebooks dual bootable with XP.

I think Kubuntu is the right system for this hardware if you learn to use it.
        Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Don't lose patience... switching to Linux is a long term investment. It also took me two months of trial and error and several distros before I finally settled on Kubuntu. But I expect that my time and energy and learning will pay off literally for the rest of my life, or at least as long as there's an active Linux community that offers software I use.

Don't lost heart, keep at it, and remember that you're in this for the long haul. How many dollars will you save by not having to buy MS or Apple upgrades all the time? How much frustration will you save by avoiding BSODs and viruses? How much satisfaction will you gain by learning and mastering a valuable new skill, and understanding your computer on more than just a superficial level? Linux is a big investment to learn, but it's well worth it.

That said, feel free to try some other distros, perhaps they will be your lucky jackpot! Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by marshcaptain
            *Sweat* this is a clean install on an Acer Aspire one Netbook, (I hate XP on this netbook. I don't mind desktop but Linux is easier and more fun to use). I can open up a terminal.

I'm installing the latest version.
            If your netbook uses Intel's GMA500 video chip then you should read this:
            http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/01...youre-screwed/

There is a driver, the Poulsbo driver, but it won't work with a Linux kernel version greater than 2.6.24. In addition, Adam Williamson found that it basically doesn't work:
            This is really silly, because the code is obviously 99% basically there and working. It just needs the people who actually know the code and the hardware to put it in the right places and not random obscure undocumented repositories, submit it upstream, and keep it up to date. But because, for whatever reason, the Intel, Tungsten, Dell and Ubuntu folks can’t get their fingers out of their asses and actually provide the code in a sensible, sane and open way, few people even know it exists, no-one’s seemingly working to keep it going with newer kernels, X.org and libdrm, and no-one has a freaking clue how to use it. And every Linux user with this chipset is getting screwed.

A review of the Acer One 751 wrote:

Rather more interesting is the new Aspire One 751, which represents an entirely new model. Presenting a design that appears to be half netbook and half notebook, the 751 has a larger 11.6” LED backlit screen with a higher 1366x768 resolution. Buyers will be given a choice of chips, with Intel's Atom Z520 1.33GHz for the budget-concious or a Z530 1.6GHz if you're splashing out. A three cell battery providing four hours usage will be provided as standard, although buyers will have the option of upgrading to six cell version for a claimed eight hours. Graphics are nothing to write home about, being provided by an Intel GMA500 chip – although anyone interested in running one of the new netbook-oriented Linux distros will be pleased by Intel's excellent Linux driver support. Sadly, this will be an aftermarket experiment – so far Acer has only revealed a version running Windows XP Professional.
            The statement about Linux users "being pleased" is a gross misunderstanding, if not an outright lie, since Intel cannot supply an Open Source driver for the GMA500. The reason is that Intel outsourced the video chip BIOS to PowerAR, which is notoriously anti-Linux and closed source.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

From what I saw the acer aspire one can run SUSE, (there's a complicated guide on the website), Kubuntu and Ubuntu no problem. Now how do I get Kubuntu to work? Do I have to open up a terminal and write a certain code?

Comment

Maybe at the beginning you should write here the whole name of your netbook. You might see there are more different computers named Acer Aspire One and they behave differently.
                Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Uh...most netbooks come with an Intel Atom processor and 1GB/512MB of RAM and run Windows XP or light version of Linux. It's very common specifications for netbooks.

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Asp...on.asp?PID=516

Now unless I have help I might give up on Linux. How do you get Kubuntu to start up properly and what the hell is Plasma?

Comment

josefko@ It looks like you have the same netbook as marshcaptain. It might be very helpful if you explain what you did to get 9.04 installed and fully working.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Marshcaptain

In simple terms plasma is the KDE 4 desktop.

IMHO you should try Ubuntu Netbook Remix which has been optimised for Netbooks. My wife's Acer aspire One runs great with it.

Look here
                      http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download-netbook

Hope this helps

Ian

Comment

I was about to suggest the same thing. Since Ubuntu has a specific netbook version.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook

Great advantage of Kubuntu family is the live CD - try it without installation, see how it goes with your wireless, video and everything else. If you like it, then install it - it should work. If you don't like it, look for another

Try distrowatch.com http://distrowatch.com/
                        lots of good Linux distros - free
                        HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

I don't like the way the netbook remix looks cluttered. I would prefer it to look like an open desktop like Mac and Windows. Thanks.

Comment

Once installed you can with 2 or 3 clicks set it to a vanilla (i.e very, very, plain) gnome desktop. The key thing is that all the optimisation for your hardware remains so I suspect that's your best option.

Once up and running, by running sudo apt-get kubuntu-desktop you can probably give kde4 a whirl too (it's ubuntu after all) so nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                              Once installed you can with 2 or 3 clicks set it to a vanilla (i.e very, very, plain) gnome desktop. The key thing is that all the optimisation for your hardware remains so I suspect that's your best option.

Once up and running, by running sudo apt-get kubuntu-desktop you can probably give kde4 a whirl too (it's ubuntu after all) so nothing to lose and everything to gain.
                              Okay then thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X