This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 6.10 Questions??

I have installed Kubuntu 6.10 to my computer because wins was giving me a fit. I want to know how can I install my HP Print so Kubuntu will accept the installation or do I need to let their software recognize the printer?? I am just getting my feet wet using Kubuntu. It is running much faster on my system that wins. The drivers software seem to be usless now that wins is gone. I am learning Kubuntu by the process of elimination. I made a wins backup just before wins crashed on me. This is fun tho like stumbling around in the dark. The software CD Drivers I want to install is: NERO for my CD/RW drive ; HP Deskjet 932c Printer CD driver; Calender Creator as such. Appreciate any and all help you can give me.

Re: Kubuntu 6.10 Questions??

6.10 is old now. It means 2006 October. The current release is 9.04. This means 2009 April. You might find it impossible to update.

You can add your printer. The software does not do it automatically. The route is (probably) KMenu>System>Administration>Printing. (You might have to investigate to find the correct path...)

The programs you list - Nero, the HP Install Disk and Calendar Creator are Windows programs. Linux is NOT Windows. Windows is NOT Linux. SOME Windows programs can run on Linux BUT NOT ALL, with an application called Wine. You need to find equivalents and/or workarounds. In Kubuntu there is a CD Burner called K3b.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

There's a link in my signature that will answer a lot of questions -- there's even one for printing.

But I agree with arochester -- if you're going to bother learning to use Linux, which is not a trivially easy undertaking, then you might just as well start with a more current version. If you already have 6.10 running, then make sure K3b is installed, and then download a 9.04 ISO and use K3b to "burn CD Image", following the guidance in the first FAQ on my list.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04/

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I tried to download 9.04 only got about 40% and it stalled. I'll try it again.

Comment

Working...
        X