This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repartitioned hard drive

I had to move my Kubuntu 9.04 OS drive (250 Gb) to a newer drive (300 Gb). I used a livecd and simply did a 'dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/sdy'. That worked fine. What I noticed and expected to happen was that the new drive had the swap space about 3/4 the way towards the end of the disk. The swap space was at the end of the 250 Gb drive. So I then started a gparted live cd, deleted the swap, recreated it at the end of the disk, and then resized the OS partition to the remaining space.

My system is stable and running. However, when I start it up now, the Kubuntu splash screen is interupted by an error message I have not been able to catch. Then the system starts fully anyway.

Is there something I need to do with Kubuntu in order for it to know that the swap space is at a new location? I'm thinking that is what is happening.

Re: Repartitioned hard drive

Look at your /etc/fstab file. What partition is it pointing to for your swap? If it isn't the "new" partition, make the appropriate change.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Great. Thanks for sharing with the forum.

One big advantage of what you have done is that your new system has all the updates of the old system. If you had installed from a CD, you would have had to download for how long to update?
      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

You can try to record your screen with a camera and then watch it frame by frame so you can read the error message. Anyway, I wouldn't mind the error message as long as everything works normal.

Comment

I did find a difference in the '/etc/fstab' and 'fdisk -l' that was easily corrected. The error still presents itself.

I tried turning on boot logging, but the file wasn't generated. What I can see when the screen goes flying by, it says something about 'ck***'

This also present itself after I added the repositories and upgraded to kde4.3. But this might be something to just ignore to because it I have no ill effects on my system.

Comment

Is there any way in (K)ubuntu to do a line by line bootup to see which service/startup item is having the problem? In RedHat (EVIL WORD to me now), you can do an interactive bootup where you load one service at a time.

Comment

Have you tried looking at the system log file using KSystemLog?
              K Menu -> Applications -> System -> System Logs Viewer

Comment

check /var/log/dmesg

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Did you run mkswap on the new swap partition? Does df show that you have any swap available? If you currently have no swap and you run mkswap on the new partition and swapon on that partition you should then have swap.

Comment

So I then started a gparted live cd, deleted the swap, recreated it at the end of the disk, and then resized the OS partition to the remaining space.
                    Open a console. Type:
                    Code:
                    sudo blkid | grep swap
                    sudo cat /etc/fstab | grep swap
                    Verify that the /dev/xxxx entry in fstab matches what blkid reports.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry Fellas... Had a momentary lapse on this.

Here is the output of the commands:
                      dpich@dpich-DP5:~$ sudo blkid | grep swap
                      /dev/sdd5: TYPE="swap" UUID="ea83a5c3-f1de-41db-9b34-e00944233680"
                      dpich@dpich-DP5:~$ sudo cat /etc/fstab | grep swap
                      # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
                      UUID=ea83a5c3-f1de-41db-9b34-e00944233680 none swap sw 0 0
                      dpich@dpich-DP5:~$ sudo mkswap
                      mkswap: error: Nowhere to set up swap on?
                      Usage: mkswap [-c] [-v0|-v1] [-pPAGESZ] [-L label] [-U UUID] /dev/name [blocks]
                      dpich@dpich-DP5:~$

I FINALLY caught a clue on the message. Here is what is in 'System Logs' that skunk suggested.

Code:
                      2009-09-01 19:07:16	dpich-DP5	kernel	[  16.782761] ck804xrom ck804xrom_init_one(): Unable to register resource 0x00000000ff000000-0x00000000ffffffff - kernel bug?
                      2009-09-01 19:07:16	dpich-DP5	kernel	[  16.845115] ck804xrom @fff80000: Found 1 x8 devices at 0x0 in 8-bit bank
                      This actually could be completely unrelated as it looks as though my swap space is having issues.

Comment

When you create a new swap partition you must run mkswap on it before you can activate it with swapon. So if your new swap partition is /dev/sdb6 you would run
                        Code:
                        sudo mkswap /dev/sdb6
                        once. That is much like formating a filesystem. After that you can run
                        Code:
                        sudo swapon /dev/sdb6
                        to activate the swap. This is what is done automatically when you put the swap partition in /etc/fstab.

Comment

Working...
                        X