X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't connect to the internet

Hi.
    I'm currently using Ubuntu, but I want to try Kubuntu, so i used the Kubuntu live cd. My problem is I can't enter the internet. I choose my wireless network and I am asked for the WEP password, i enter it and then a window appears with this title: "enter network connections secrets". It has a line in which appears "security" and the WEP option is marked, so i enter the wep password but nothing happens, I got a message saying that the connection failed and i am asked again for the password in the "enter connection secrets" window.
    What can I do? Is it beacause of the live cd, i mean, do i have to install Kubuntu in order to enter the internet? or what do i have to enter in the "enter network connection secrets" window. Using the Ubuntu live CD i don't have this problem. i'm just asked for the wep password and then i can enter the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Re: I can't connect to the internet

I'm fairly new to Kubuntu too. Have you checked the part under wireless security to see if you are trying to put a pass phrase inside a key type like "Hex Key (for 64 or 128 bits)"? My laptop and wifi connection on my router uses a hex key instead of a password, that was my first mistake. Also, once you enter DNS Servers and Search domain (kde.org) you don't need the other stuff like you did on Ubuntu. Hope this helps.
    Bob
    Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Re: I can't connect to the internet

Hi and welcome.

I am assuming you are running jaunty? If so, the stock KDE Network Manager is ..ahem.. broken, at least the one at first issue (i.e on the CD) is.
      If you install Kubuntu , one option is for you to install Wicd. However, it conflicts with the Network manager and the Wicd install process will remove it. It's a relatively simple process to set up.

However, to clarify. I assume you want kubuntu because you want to try out KDE? I suspect you haven't actually installed it? In that case your best option is to run sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop whilst in your main installation. That will install KDE for you and you will have the opportunity to choose the desktop type at login. In simplest terms kubuntu is simply ubuntu with a kde desktop and kde-centric apps. There is nothing to stop you having both Gnome and KDE (I do) and if you try KDE and don't like it you can always uninstall it.

One point, it will also install the KDE display Manager (KDM) and you will be asked whether you want to use that or stick with the gnome one (GDM). Until you plump for KDE full time (you may well do) stick with GDM.

One other thing - you will probably find with that configuration that the network manager "just works" when you run KDE. Do not install Wicd in that case Wicd and gnome don't play well together in my experience.

HTH

Comment

Working...
      X