Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RESOLVED: Where do I go to see my computer's system profile?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RESOLVED: Where do I go to see my computer's system profile?

In windows, I click on my computer's properties to see details like ram, hard drive size, video cards, etc. How do i see that when i'm logged into kubuntu?
    Kubuntu 9.04 installed within Windows Vista Home Premium. HP Compaq Presario V3304.

Re: Where do I go to see my computer's system profile?

Take a look under System in your menu, there should be something called InfoCenter there. That can tell you a lot of those things. If it doesn't come up for you there, you can try accessing it from the terminal by typing in kinfocenter.

I also know there are some command you can put into the terminal window that won't throw up something in the gui, but I can't remember what they are at the moment. Someone else more knowledgeable will likely come along with that info if my information doesn't help out enough.

Comment

I also know there are some command you can put into the terminal window
      Look at "Find Hardware Specs (Details) on your Computer" on http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2007/02/...your-computer/

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

hi all ^^
        (registered while looking for the 4.3b1 :P )

well... to the answer

first remember that this is other system (or group of systems) and maybe sometimes the way that shows you the information is not the same as in other places

some of the tools that you have in kubuntu is the... Device Manager Hardware Viewing (kde-hal-device-manager), this is very descriptive (like everest, maybe more) but it does not have a fancy look

theres a gtk program that you can (apt)get too, is called sysinfo, that may be the way that you want to see the information (for now)

if you want to use the tty or konsole (something very dangerous because you can get addicted to it very fast ) try the commands that posted arochester (recommended)

ps: use kpackagekit or the package manager that you want and search for system information to look all the available apps on the repos

Comment

I prefer the command-line tools since you never know what GUI tool is available. From a terminal...

free - displays amount of free and used memory
          df - disk usage and size
          lspci - PCI bus information and devices
          lsusb - USB bus information and devices
          ifconfig - network devices

That should give you most of what you need. You can look at their man pages to learn more. If you are curious what ls-related user commands exist on your system type the following at a command prompt...

ls -ad /usr/bin/ls*

Finally, if you want cpu information you can always cat /proc/cpuinfo. Sometimes uname will report processor information and sometimes not. it reports unknown on my system but processor information can be had in different ways. From a command prompt...

cat /proc/cpuinfo

linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
            I also know there are some command you can put into the terminal window
            Look at "Find Hardware Specs (Details) on your Computer" on http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2007/02/...your-computer/

This is great! It generated all the details I wanted! Thanks!
            Kubuntu 9.04 installed within Windows Vista Home Premium. HP Compaq Presario V3304.

Comment

Working...
            X