This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Question about package requirements- glib/pkg-config/scim

After having installed Scim/Skim, I am installing an IMEngine so that I can input chinese.
    The IMEngine is novel-pinyin - 0.2.4 and come in a .tar.gz archive. process is $./configure $make $make install

When doing $./configure, the system checks many packages and finds out some missing ones (gettext & pkg-config), which I installed, but now I get this :
    Code:
    checking for GLIB2... configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.4.0) were not met:                                                              

No package 'glib-2.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.                      

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GLIB2_CFLAGS
    and GLIB2_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    I search for 'glib' packages $sudo aptitude search glib, but among the many results, I only have some 'glibc' and other that look very different. I don't want to try anything foolish so I seek advice first. Do I need this package, can I get it from another repository (which one?) or should I post more information ?

Thank you
    Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Re: Question about package requirements - glib/pkg-config

in the install instructions file of the package, there's this paragraph

Compilers and Options
    =====================

Some systems require unusual options for compilation or linking that the
    `configure' script does not know about. Run `./configure --help' for
    details on some of the pertinent environment variables.

You can give `configure' initial values for configuration parameters
    by setting variables in the command line or in the environment. Here
    is an example:

./configure CC=c99 CFLAGS=-g LIBS=-lposix

but the variable names are not exactly the same. should I try this?
    Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

Search for libglib* (preferably in a GUI package manager like Packagekit or Synaptic).

Comment

I searched with Adept, but that return no results. And I don't have Synaptic installed.
        with Aptitude, I get this result :
        Code:
         $sudo aptitude search gibglib*                         
        p  libglib-cni                            - Java bindings for GLib (native code)
        v  libglib-dev                            -
        p  libglib-java                            - Java bindings for GLib
        p  libglib-java-dev                          - Java bindings for GLib (development files)
        p  libglib-java-doc                          - Java bindings for GLib (API documentation)
        p  libglib-java-gcj                          - Java bindings for GLib (native code for use with gij)
        p  libglib-jni                            - Java bindings for GLib (native library)
        p  libglib-perl                            - Perl interface to the GLib and GObject libraries
        p  libglib1.2-dbg                           - The GLib library of C routines (debug)
        p  libglib1.2-dev                           - The GLib library of C routines (development)
        p  libglib1.2ldbl                           - The GLib library of C routines
        p  libglib2-ruby                           - Glib 2 bindings for the Ruby language
        p  libglib2-ruby1.8                          - Glib 2 bindings for the Ruby language
        i  libglib2.0-0                            - The GLib library of C routines
        p  libglib2.0-0-dbg                          - The GLib libraries and debugging symbols
        p  libglib2.0-cil                           - CLI binding for the GLib utility library 2.12
        i  libglib2.0-data                          - Common files for GLib library
        p  libglib2.0-dev                           - Development files for the GLib library
        p  libglib2.0-doc                           - Documentation files for the GLib library
        p  libglibmm-2.4-1c2a                         - C++ wrapper for the GLib toolkit (shared libraries)
        p  libglibmm-2.4-dbg                         - C++ wrapper for the GLib toolkit (debug symbols)
        p  libglibmm-2.4-dev                         - C++ wrapper for the GLib toolkit (development files)
        p  libglibmm-2.4-doc                         - C++ wrapper for the GLib toolkit (documentation)
        p  libglibmm-utils-dev                        - utility functions, classes and widgets written on top of glibmm
        p  libglibmm-utils2                          - utility functions, classes and widgets written on top of glibmm
        v  libglide-dev                            -
        p  libglide3                             - graphics library for 3Dfx Voodoo based cards - shared libraries
        v  libglide3-alpha                          -
        v  libglide3-alpha-dev                        -
        p  libglide3-dev                           - graphics library for 3Dfx Voodoo based cards - development files
        v  libglitz-dev                            -
        v  libglitz-glx-dev                          -
        p  libglitz-glx1                           - Glitz OpenGL library GLX backend
        p  libglitz-glx1-dev                         - Glitz OpenGL library GLX backend development libraries and headers
        p  libglitz1                             - Glitz OpenGL image compositing library
        p  libglitz1-dev                           - OpenGL image compositing library development libraries and headers
        Should I install libglib2.0-0 ? There are 6 packages with a name having glib2.0 in it.

Comment

package libglib2.0-0 installed and I still have the same problem. any idea ?

Comment

Installing libglib2.0-dev solved this issue.

Comment

Glad to hear it.

Comment

Next line another problem with package scim
                Code:
                checking for SCIM... configure: error: Package requirements (scim >= 1.2.0) were not met:

No package 'scim' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
                installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables SCIM_CFLAGS
                and SCIM_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
                See the pkg-config man page for more details.
                But scim 1.4.7 is installed, so I don't get what's missing ...
                Code:
                Package: scim                                   
                New: yes                                      
                State: installed                                  
                Automatically installed: yes                            
                Version: 1.4.7-3ubuntu10

Comment

you will need more -dev packages, such as libscim-dev.
                  Whenever you see a missing thing while running configure, most likely it is a -dev package, and often it is called libwhatever-is-missing--dev

Comment

Thank you for the trick, it worked for SCIM (libscim-dev) and also for the next one, Berkeley DB library (libdb-dev).
                    On the other hand, when $./configure finishes, $make reply 'no target' and the makefile is completely empty. But apparently, it is difficult to install scim/skim on Intrepid. I'll try another way.

Comment

Working...
                    X