This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update to Kubuntu 9.04 - network connection lost

i updated from ubuntu 8.04 to Kubuntu 9.04, and my network connection is lost and I do not find any trace of connection. Is it possible that Kubuntu does not not support my network card. My computer i s a Dell D400.

Re: Update to Kubuntu 9.04 - network connection lost

I assume that when you write "Dell D400" you mean a Dell Latitude D400 laptop. If so, you might find some useful info here or here. Unfortunately, both of these refer to older releases and you know Kubuntu works with your machine as recently as 8-04. I suspect, however, that if it worked with your network card before it should still work with it now. I wish I could say something more specific.

Please let me know if there is some other Dell D400.

Later: I just noticed that I also assumed that "network card" meant "wired". Apparently, wireless has always been a problem with this machine. If wireless is your problem, search this site for "ndiswrapper".

Comment

Hi
      You are correct about the computer. It is a Dell Latitude D400. And it is the wired network that does not work. I have tried the connection with another computer, and that one works. I suspect that the problem is banal, just something I have missed.
      I installed Kubuntu last year, and finally managed to make the computer work as a printer server in my home network. Then the other week, as i downloaded update packages, I was asked if I wanted to upgrade to 9.04, and then I got this lovely new layout, but no functionality.

Comment

One thing to try is to take a look at the output of the Konsole command
        Code:
        ifconfig -a
        There should be a paragraph relating to "eth0". It will tell you things like the number of packets transmitted and received (which should be large) and the number of errors (which should be zero).

Note that in windoze the same command is written
        Code:
        ipconfig \a
        (I think, I haven't used any M$ software in a long time.) You might want to compare the results, if you still have windoze installed.

Comment

Working...
        X