X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't login anymore, please help

Hi,

I have kubuntu 8.10 and XP pro dual boot. Few weeks ago, I did an upgrade and it somehow failed as I got plenty errors, and now I can't even login, after entering username and passwd, the screen flashes, I get few screens: black screen, lines of colours...then it comes back to login screen asking me for my passwd again...

What should I do?

Can I upgrade to 9.04 w/o logging in 8.10?

thanks
    vini

Re: can't login anymore, please help

If you start in recovery mode (you can choose that in the grub menu before bootup) you'll get a blue screen with some options to try autofix broken packages etc. The last choice, is try to fix X settings automatically. (not word by word, but says something like that). choose that and you'll probably go a bit further.

Perhaps you'll need to apply a different resolution after boot up, but I guess you'll find your way there

good luck!

Comment

ok, thanks. I did what you suggested...still can't login.
      also, fsck found plenty of errors...

I'm currently doing a backup into another pc, and I think I will re-install everything? any good?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by vblanche
        ok, thanks. I did what you suggested...still can't login.
        also, fsck found plenty of errors...

I'm currently doing a backup into another pc, and I think I will re-install everything? any good?

thanks
        Yeah, I think that unless you want to spend hours in the terminal, figuring out how to fix it, reinstalling is the only option. If you, however, try to fix it without reinstalling, you will learn a lot of things.
        For example, try running aptitude (sudo aptitude, of course) from the terminal. It will give you options to fix broken dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by cleb
          If you, however, try to fix it without reinstalling, you will learn a lot of things.
          excellent point...thanks

Comment

Working...
          X