This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoneminder untar

Can some1 please explain to me how to install ZoneMinder from .tar.gz?
    I downloaded the file from www.zoneminder.com and really would like to install it, but have no idea how to un-tar the file

Re: Zoneminder untar

Zoneminder is in the standard repository, for my 9.04 system. So, no need to download tarballs. Open the Konsole and enter

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install zoneminder

Comment

Hi there
      did the sudo apt-get update
      and the sudo apt-get install zoneminder
      I even did a restart after installation, but nothing.

Is there any other way?

Comment

Hmmm. I wonder whether you've added the "non-free" and medibuntu repositories? Check out #9 on the link in my signature, and make sure you've got the extra repos enabled, then try it again.

Comment

ZoneMinder Forum
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi
            sorry to be a total dummy.
            But I don't understand any of the stuff they're talking about - which is pretty frustrating for a noob trying to experiment with linux features

Comment

Don't worry- we've all been there at some time.

Basically the packages for all things (k)ubuntu are held in repositories that your computer can access via either adept or synaptic (the 2 most common package managers) or via a terminal window. So long as you know what you are looking for the terminal way (as you appear to have done) is generally the quickest. Whichever way you do it, the system will generally ensure that all necessary dependencies are installed as well.

Medibuntu is a repository containing lots of packages that cannot be included with the default installation for a variety of reasons (eg someone is claiming a patent on it). Perhaps the best example is commercial dvd playback, which requires the use of a package called libdvdcss2 which is illegal in some countries, hence you have to actively install it yourself.

You can get instructions on enabling the medibutu repository here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Now to your specific query: Having downloaded and installed your program you now have to run it. Assuming intrepid (8.10), simply click the kmenu button and start to type the program name in the search box. You ought to see an icon appear below the box that represents the program. Click on it and it ought to run.

Comment

Automagically downloading and installing from repositories should be your FIRST choice. Unpacking from a .tar or compiling should be your LAST choices.

For installing generally look at http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware and http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources, and http://amitech.50webs.com/installing/index.php.html
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi there
                  thanks to all who have helped with this.
                  It's up and running.

Thanks a million guys

Comment

Working...
                  X