This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems: fan noise followed by shutdown

Sorry, this is not really a Kubuntu question, but I need help to get there. I've been trying to get a computer to work, whenever I start it the fan makes a horrible noise (or somewhere near the fan) and it shuts down a few seconds later before it can boot. If you hit it a couple times, sometimes it'll start. I helps the most when you hold it diagnally, and hit it on the side. I can get it started that way usually.

Anyway, I recently put linux on my laptop, because it is old and windows wasn't working well. Now I want to put Kubuntu on my desktop, the one that isn't working well. What can I do to fix the booting/fan problem? And then I can get to Kubuntu, thanks!

Re: Problems: fan noise followed by shutdown

Which fan? The CPU fan? The PSU fan?

Do you get any POST sound (a beep or pattern of beeps) from the computer
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

It's the only fan that I can see, it's right in the top middle of the big card in the tower. Sorry, I don't know much about what's in there As for the beeps, there are none that I can hear. I hope that isn't a very bad sign.

Thanks.

Comment

If you can hear no beeps it's a very bad sign.

If everything was OK you would hear one beep.

General advice on buying a machine is "no beep, no buy".

One (slim) possibility - has the machine not been used for a while? The small battery on the motherboard might be flat. If it is flat there will be no beep.
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

You can see the start screen, and if you hit it just right it'll start up okay.

It hasn't been used in a while, yes. Is there a way to test the battery? Will this battery problem cause a horrible grinding noise that around the CPU fan(found out which one it was)?

Comment

A new battery shouldn't cost very much- easier than checking it. No the battery itself shouldn't make the noise - but might be why things aren't going.

Comment

Ah, so the noise and the problem may not be related. What is the battery called, so I can look for one online?

Comment

Sounds to me that your CPU fan is toast and possibly the motherboard cmos battery as arochester mentioned. The battery is motherboard dependant (that is there are many kinds)whlile the fan is CPU dependant. Please don't take offense, but since you are unsure which fan is making noise and think a battery can make noise , you would be better off taking the beast to a shop and have them check it out and replace the parts for you. It shouldn't be that expensive. Better yet, if you have a computer geek friend living nearby, have him check it out. Most can be lured with beer.

Comment

Sounds to me that your CPU fan is toast and possibly the motherboard cmos battery as arochester mentioned. The battery is motherboard dependant (that is there are many kinds)whlile the fan is CPU dependant. Please don't take offense, but since you are unsure which fan is making noise and think a battery can make noise , you would be better off taking the beast to a shop and have them check it out and replace the parts for you. It shouldn't be that expensive. Better yet, if you have a computer geek friend living nearby, have him check it out. Most can be lured with beer.
                  None taken, I'd rather let out the secret that I'm not an expert on computers than break the thing. I do have a computer-oriented fellow living nearby, I'll have to buy a cake or something :P

Comment

Working...
                  X