X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

networking question with two routers

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how to get this to work properly. The current setup is:

Router 1: connects to the internet, does all the phone stuff, main computer plugged into it (dhcp), internal ip address 192.168.178.1, dyndns service running on this one

Router 2: is connected to router1, has wlan with dhcp (but cannot do phone), all laptops connected to this one, internal ip address 192.168.2.1

I can obviously connect with a laptop to the main computer using dyndns but do not know how to connect via the internal lan. Is there a command which lets me see all the ip addresses in the network? I'm stumped, looking for any hint, link, what have you.

Ta.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: networking question with two routers

Does router 2 have an "access point" option in it's web configuration? If so use that.

If not (this is what I do when I added a cheap wireless router to our wired lan):

On router 1, find out what the DHCP address range is i.e. router 1 may be assigning IP addresses 192.168.178.2 thru 192.168.178.20 to client PCs that request an IP address. Check the subnet mask is something like 255.255.255.0.

Next move to router 2. Connect it via cable using a LAN port (ignore the WAN/PHONE side). On the LAN side, give router 2 an IP address OUTSIDE router 1's range (in my example 192.168.178.21 would be suitable). Give router 2 the same subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Turn OFF router 2's DHCP server.

Now, when wireless laptops try and connect, router 2 simply works as a hub and won't try and issue an IP address, the request just gets passed on to router 1.

Comment

Nice one, vacant! Your first option obviously must work but the second is nothing short of ingenious (says humble toad).

Will try that as soon as the geezer whose network it is gets home from work and switches on his office computer

Will of course report back.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Oops, not reported back Works a treat, though

Comment

Working...
        X