This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating KDE

I've just gone from using windows vista 4 months ago to Ubuntu 8.10 to Kubuntu (the last 2 weeks). I would like to know how to update KDE in the terminal.

Re: Updating KDE

Not sure what you are asking, but if you mean to upradge KDE 4.1.3 to KDE 4.2.RC1 then follow this link http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2-rc1

If you want to up upgrade to KDE 4.1.4 just enable pre-release updates in adept.
    Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

I would however advise you not to upgrade to 4.2 rc1, as it is far from being stable(dolphin crashes all the time etc). 4.1.4 is the best you can get now.

Comment

Originally posted by cleb
        I would however advise you not to upgrade to 4.2 rc1, as it is far from being stable(dolphin crashes all the time etc). 4.1.4 is the best you can get now.
        Everyone's experience is different, I have been using 4.2 since beta1 and have not had a single application crash. For me 4.2 (even in beta) has been a more polished DE than 4.1.x.

I find the important thing with new versions of KDE 4 is to keep your drivers up to date e.g video drivers, even if it means using beta versions.

That said I do like to live near the edge (not on it) even on my production machine.
        Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Originally posted by cleb
          I have not had one crash with RC1 with the exception of kopete crashing on shutdown which is a know and fixed bug for the 4.2 release.
          Kubuntu 9.04<br /><br /><br />http://www.kubuntucomputergeeks.com

Comment

If by update you mean get the newest updates to what you have installed? Very easy.

Open a Konsole and type:

Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            That checks for updates

Code:
            sudo apt-get upgrade
            That installs the updates
            &quot;The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated <br />concept.&nbsp; If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in <br />life and actually grok it.&quot;

Comment

And as I've recently been made aware of, running:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
              is preferable to:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get upgrade
              as dist-upgrade will intelligently handle dependencies, which might include 'new' packages that aren't currently installed.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've never had a problem with plain ol' upgrade. But I usually use a package manager. Thanks, Snowhog! I learned something today.
                &quot;The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated <br />concept.&nbsp; If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in <br />life and actually grok it.&quot;

Comment

See my [SOLVED] linux-* packages kept back and kubicle's reply (Reply #7) which is how I learned about this. I tend to use the CLI and sudo apt-get for my upgrades more than I do the package manager.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                  X