Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some clarifying on Desktop Effects (Intrepid Ibex)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some clarifying on Desktop Effects (Intrepid Ibex)

I am using Kubuntu 8.10 and I've been trying to find out the difference with the desktop effects. Ubuntu and Kubuntu use different backends for their desktop effects correct? Ubuntu uses Compiz, and Kubuntu uses KWin.

Does KWin have limited effects compared to Compiz? And i have heard that most people who want to get the full effects support are supposed to download Compiz Fusion. If thats the case, which apt- do i need?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need some clarifying on Desktop Effects (Intrepid Ibex)

You can actually get compiz through:

K > Applications > System > Desktop Effects.
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz<br />Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub

Comment

To set a custom effect setting you will need a compiz manager, so go to your apept installer and type:

Advanced desktop effects settings (ccsm)

Install it and launch it through K menu. If it isn't under k menu open a term and type :

$ ccsm

(You can also install "compiz fusion icon" through adept installer for a system tray icon which after installed can be launched in K menu. This app lets you jump from your Kwin effects, to your new compiz effects, and lets you open "ccsm" by clicking on settings manager.)
      Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz<br />Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub

Comment

Actually Compiz is effects for linux and Kwin is effects for the KDE desktop. I've been playing with KDE 4.2 and both make nice effects. Both have their good and not-so-good points. Compiz's code is a mish-mash of band-aids and so is a bit clunky. I have never gotten any emerald theme to work with it. I always loose my windows and am left with just what is inside them. I do not recomend that you use an emerald theme with Compiz.
        The cube is easier to get spinning in Compiz. Kwin doesn't have the Opacify (?) effect, but I feel is generally easier to set up. It also will get better as time goes on and the future of Compiz is not certain. You should test both of them out. Use them each for a few days and see what you like better.
        &quot;The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated <br />concept.&nbsp; If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in <br />life and actually grok it.&quot;

Comment

Originally posted by GrokIt

I have never gotten any emerald theme to work with it.
          I got used to Compiz before Kwin got so much better, so I'm still using it. Emerald works just fine on KDE 4.1xx (now 4.2 RC1), on my hardware, although I'm not sure you can load any themes other than the default theme set -- I haven't tried lately. You do have to have solid GLX performance. I'm not sure how many of the advanced Compiz plugins work on KDE 4 yet -- I don't think Atlantis works, for example, but it does on my sidux/KDE3.5 system.

But, I agree the new Kwin is looking good - if I wasn't so comfortable with Compiz, I might just as well use Kwin.

Comment

I'm still playing with KDE 4 so I don't have the hours and hours put in to make a definite decision yet. To tell the truth, I didn't even try an emerald theme, too much headaches in the past. I too am comfortable with Compiz, but on the other hand, I like to use all KDE when I can (and when It Just Works) so I'm actually glad I have this quandary!
            &quot;The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated <br />concept.&nbsp; If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in <br />life and actually grok it.&quot;

Comment

I've Compiz as my WM on HH, but I'm using the default WM on II. I find that the 'eye candy' provided in II just fine. I don't have the cube, but the multiple desktops are just fine.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X