X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux Disappeared

Hi - I am not even sure how to describe this but here goes:

I have been running kubuntu 8.0.4 for a few months now, I like it. I chose the Install in Windows option, and have loved it.

Last week, I rebooted windows to go into Linux, but during boot up, instead of going to the boot manager where I can choose to boot Kubuntu or Windows, a message flashes on the screen it goes so fast that I do not get the chance to read it, I think it says something about boot.ini or something ini and Windows boots up instead.

I poked around the drive I chose to install it in, but was unable to find any files that keep any kind of log.

Needless to say, I couldn't figure it out so I decided to just reinstall kubuntu and start from scratch, except now when I mount the image, or insert the cd the initial install screen comes up, I choose Install in Windows option, it immediately shows a dialog box with a rapidly updating progress bar which also disappears immediately, and then nothing happens. The installer never starts.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I should be looking to resolve this?

thanks.

EDIT: Also, when trying uninstall from Windows Add/Remove Programs and again nothing happens - I get an hourglass for like 10 seconds then nothing.

Re: Linux Disappeared

Oops. Sounds like you did a wubi install inside windows. There is no knowing what windows does or doesn't do but it appears that its manager has gone funny (if you cannot even uninstall). Could also be your disk, of course

I would recommend deleting the file within windows, partitioning your had drive and doing a proper install. Not only are you then "safe" from the whims of a windows system but you will also have a faster Kubuntu experience.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Bummer

I had already partitioned the disk up and had put the linux install on it's own partition, albeit a windows partition...I will try formatting and doing the full install.

Thanks for your help!~

Comment

There must be a misunderstanding. If you did a wubi install you installed Kubuntu within windows on one of its "drives". If you did a proper install you started the computer off the CD and installed natively.

Which did you do?
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't clear: I installed within windows on one of the windows drives, I just gave it a windows (NTFS) drive of its own with nothing else on it (about 100 GBs).

I am now going to wipe the drive, and use it as an actual linux partition, will reboot off the CD and install right from there.

thanks.

Comment

Right, way to go!

You may find this helpful to avoid any potential pitfalls along the way.

http://www.apcmag.com/dualboot

It is considered the best guide out there.

Comment

Awesome, Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X