Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it just me or does kubuntu version 8.1 suck?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it just me or does kubuntu version 8.1 suck?

its been 48 hours now and:
    1. i still dont have internet working. knetworkmanager wont allow me to set the static ip, and using sudo ifconfig didnt give me problems, except that it didnt work.
    2. i cant write to the partition (who's the genius that thought of that?), so i cant edit the interfaces file in /etc/network
    3. at startup i actually get a scratchy image of the WINDOWS XP SHUTDOWN screen if i restart from xp and switch to kubuntu at boot. imagine that! i dont know if this happens to others but im not kidding...
    4. my mouse turns into a rather large multicolor box if i dont use it for approx 10 seconds. when i move it, the box disappears, but returns on occasion while in use. ive tried changing the mouse/display settings with no effect.
    5. im writing this because 4 bulletpoints look more awkward than 5.

It appears that many people are disappointed with this version, and they say 8.04 was a lot better in many ways. im not sure, but the last time i experimented with kubuntu was about 1.5 years ago, i had NO problems with it at all except that it was impossible to use Java, even with firefox. Java was important at that time so I couldnt go without it. forgot what version that was...
    Linux manufacturers do a lot of talking about functionality and ease of use, but only windows is doing the walking so far. sorry to have to break it to you. even if i manage to fix these problems, its taken far too long for it to be worthwhile. maybe i should download ubuntu?

Re: is it just me or does kubuntu version 8.1 suck?

I would say it's mostly you. (you did ask the question .....)

1. Hard to tell with no information - I assume you're referring to wireless, but knetwork manager has never been famous for its effectiveness. There are about a million posts on Ubuntu Forum on "how to" set up wireless with the various models of wireless chip -- wicd is better than knetworkmanager -- I don't think you've worked the "search" button enough over there.

2. What do you mean "can't write"? Of course you must be in Super User (aka "root") mode to write to a system file -- nothing new there. So, Alt-F2 "kdesudo kate /etc/network/interfaces" with no quote marks is all you need to do.

3. Yes, that's a feature of KDM 4. I see that too. So what? Cover your eyes for 3 seconds if you can't stand it!

4. Never heard of this one -- seriously. Sounds like your keyboard/mouse setup in xorg.conf isn't quite right. You can try running
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    and see if there's a change that will help, otherwise I think you'll again have to search the forums on your model of hardware and see what the hot tip is.

Comment

Hi Balls,

I had a couple of problems with wireless networking on upgrade too but I've just solved these by switching to wicd instead of the default network manager. Check out http://wicd.sourceforge.net/ and it'll tell you how to install on k/ubuntu on the downloads page. I found it quick and painless, and I'm a Linux noob using what seems to be a notoriously difficult wireless adapter (Netgear WPN111).

Hope this helps, and believe me, with a bit of perseverance I'm now finding 8.10 and KDE 4 (about which I was initially sceptical) fantastic.

Good luck!

Comment

Im willing to admit i am making a few mistakes, and my patient is limited, but when I installed 8.1 i thought it would be like the previous version i used a while ago. i never had to mess with the net settings, it worked automatically, there were NO graphics problems, i saved files and installed them with ease. oh ya, and the mouse worked fine.
        it seems as though 8.1 is the "vista" of linux. at least for me.

btw, im using a wired connection because i thought it would be easier to set that up instead of a wireless. maybe i should switch back and try it.

Comment

Originally posted by balls

btw, im using a wired connection because i thought it would be easier to set that up instead of a wireless. maybe i should switch back and try it.
          It's unusual for recent Linux distros to have trouble with wired ethernet. Did you boot the Live CD on that rig and test the connectivity? Are you using a real uncommon type of connection or network interface card? Provide some details from lspci and lsmod and dmesg, if necessary, so we can point you toward potential solutions.

Comment

8.10 (with KDE4) does completely suck, especially with nvidia graphics. My reason for saying that is that absolutely ZERO mainstream manufacturers (e.g. Dell) could install this on a system and expect to sell it without *100% of them getting returned. Widget corruption, broken systray, update app broken, slow redraws, broken add a widget... the list goes on.

I know, no one forced me to upgrade, yada, yada, yada... it's free, blah, blah, blah... that's not the point I'm making. And I'm still cranky from not having my morning coffee yet...

*76.3% of all internet forum statistics are made up on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab

*76.3% of all internet forum statistics are made up on the spot.

yep, and 88.23% of *buntu 8.10 adopters don't read the release notes:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810

especially the part about the new X.org version.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                yep, and 88.23% of *buntu 8.10 adopters don't read the release notes:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810

especially the part about the new X.org version.

Not sure exactly what part of the release notes you are referring to, but I certainly knew about all the issues since I was using the remix... again, not my complaint. I can't imagine any non-geek accepting kubuntu 8.10 as a working OS from a computer they bought from Dell, Best Buy, etc. And that makes it suck.

I really want to see this brand grow so our distro specific bugs get more eyes and ears. The opposite is going to be true I'm afraid.

**Coffee just got done. Urge to rant fading, fading, fading...

Comment

dibl, i didnt use the liveCD since my previous experiences with kubuntu were far better and i was confident about it now. im using a simple connection i guess, my network card is national semiconductor corp, my router is SMC. I just remembered that my ISP changes my ip address every 24 hours though, and ive been trying to set it up as static. still, linux should automatically connect. ive managed to edit the interfaces file and it turned out to be pointless. ive also tried editting the resolve.conf file and dhclient.conf file, but i couldnt even open them because of permissions issues. reminds me of communism.
                  about those details you asked for, what should i be looking for, because they give pages and pages of text...?

Comment

just tried to install wicd according to the directions. didnt work.

Comment

oohhh dudes come on .... interpid is the best thing that i have on my box ever ... i trying diffrent distros seen red hat 6.0 ... think about it

and i am not geek or some kind of linux guru i have very basic knowledge over the open source software and deal with the new kubuntu like pamela anderson deals with tomy lee

and what about the nvidia support ... ?! i have nvidia zotak 8600 GT AMP! edition and dont have any problems

widgets crash ... ?! are you serious or this post is some kind ov M1cr0$uX W1ndbl0w$ propaganda ?!
                      proc:Intel Pentium Dual&nbsp; CPU&nbsp; E2220&nbsp; @ 2.40GHz Cash Size 1024KB<br />hdd:Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3GB/s 500GB<br />vc:Nvidia Zotac 8600 GT AMP edition 256MB GDDR3<br />ram:1 block Kingston 1GB DDR2/667 1 block JetRAM 1GB DDR2/667 Dual Channel mode<br />Fully Compatible with Kubuntu 8.1 + KDE 4.1.2 <br />Tested &amp; Appro

Comment

soulslayer, pamela and tommy got divorced. then tommy went to prison for kicking pamela and was diagnosed with hapatitis C. should i divorce myself from linux, cuz it seems to be kicking me in the ass right now. ill give it some hepatitis if it doesnt get me online pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulSlayer
                          widgets crash ... ?! are you serious or this post is some kind ov M1cr0$uX W1ndbl0w$ propaganda ?!
                          Widget corruption, not crash. And 6xxx, 7xxx nvidia. Big problem.

Comment

Yeah, balls....
                            I am actually sticking with Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3.5.10. KDE 3.5 is still alot more stable from what I have seen. And things seem to just work alot smoother and alot less crashing of applications. I hate to say this, because I love Kubuntu and KDE. However, I was expecting something more original from KDE 4...it still looks too much like Vista. I'll stick with Kubuntu 8.04, KDE3.5.10 until KDE 4 smooths out a little bit. I don't like the black taskbar....that's totally vistafied. I don't like the widgets, again, vistafied. The desktop icons are ugly as well, they have a sort of force field looking thing around them when you hover your pointer over them. But, anyway, on the lighter side...KDE 4 will improve, I am sure. But it's hard to improve on 3.5.10, when it worked so well for me.

Comment

Well, 8.10 WAS just released; it's still got bugs to iron out. I, personally, am sticking with 8.04 until I get my next computer (8.10 should be quite stable by then).
                              Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

Working...
                              X