X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the dreaded "Checking Battery State"

Hello all,

I used the code off the kubuntu website to install Intrepid over Hardy and it took all day I got home from work and it said to restart computer to use 8.10. So I did but now I get a system hang at Checking Battery State [ok]. I tried searching these forums but to no avail. I'm running a Compaq 1500 machine, with a ATI Graphics card.
    -Kent
    "If you get up in a quarrel everyday, You are saying prayers to the devil I say" - Bob Marley

Re: I got the dreaded "Checking Battery State"

Ok now I've got something new. Now it says:

Starting up ...
    Loading, please wait...
    19+0 records in
    19+0 records out
    kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/7ca9eaaf-1898-409b-a7c6-4ba0cba8e807) = dev(8,5)
    kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/7ca9eaaf-1898-409b-a7c6-4ba0cba8e807
    kinit: no resume image, doing normal boot...

Ubuntu 8.10 GW(my comp's name) tty1

GW login: _

And that's where I'm at!
    "If you get up in a quarrel everyday, You are saying prayers to the devil I say" - Bob Marley

Comment

Sounds like a possible graphics card problem. After a command line login, do a "DMESG" and scroll through list.

Comment

Hi Kent

I assume it is a Presario 1500 rather than an Amada 1500... Sign on in text mode using your username and password.

If you look at http://aparateys.blogspot.com/2007/0...y-fawn-on.html you will see that he started with a blank screen. He was installing 7.04 Feisty rather than 8.10 Intrepid. His solution then was to press "crtl-alt-f2" and run the command:
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
        I'm not sure that sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg is still the favoured option - it might have been replaced by booting into Recovery and using the option "Try to recover XServer". How that goes if you have never had Xserver I'm not sure

I would propose a three part (somewhat experimental) approach

1) Make sure you have all available packages by running:
        sudo apt-get update
        then
        sudo apt-get upgrade
        and finally
        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        2) Then I would try booting into the Recovey kernel and taking the option "Try to recover XServer"

3) And finally try sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

If all is well and it starts up make sure that the ATI card is available and enabled in Hardware Manager ... then... reboot.

Alan
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I am having the exact same problem.
          I tried the three step approch to no aval.
          Still stuck. I have 2 nvidia 8600gt video cards.
          This is after a clean install of 8.10.
          I have no idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Kenter
            Hello all,

I used the code off the kubuntu website to install Intrepid over Hardy and it took all day I got home from work and it said to restart computer to use 8.10. So I did but now I get a system hang at Checking Battery State [ok]. I tried searching these forums but to no avail. I'm running a Compaq 1500 machine, with a ATI Graphics card.
            -Kent
            I also got the same error. My machine is custom built, but I kind of fixed the issue. I opened the box and drained the BIOS by removing the BIOS battery for a minute or two. Put it back together and every thing has been working for the last week or so with no problems.

-Scott-

Comment

Working...
            X