This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop getting warm more often.

When I installed Kubuntu a few months ago, on a brand new HD, my laptop ran so silently I was afraid the fans weren't working. Now I know they are, as they keep running quite often. I am running Hardy with desktops 3.5.9, 4.1 and Gnome. Is it getting too much to handle for my 1.3G intel M processor? Should I get rid of something?
    Or is it of no consequence?

Re: Laptop getting warm more often.

Are you running any kind of system monitor that shows you what the temperature of your CPU is running at?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Youmight also want to run "top" in a terminal to see if any program is using a lot of processor power, as that can cause it to heat up very quickly.

Comment

Snowhog: No, could you point me towards such a tool?

Detonate: I ran "top", but I really have no reference as to what would be abnormal output. I could paste the output here, but it keeps changing, so I guess it really wouldn't be very helpful.

Comment

If you see any program that stays, or keeps jumping to the top using a large amount or CPU Percentage, which would probably be anything in double digits, that could be your problem. For example in mine right now, with only a couple of programs open, nothing is over 3%. This is with an AMD64 4000+ processor. YMMV with your processor, but look for anything unusual. My laptop has the same processor as yours, so I am going to boot it up and see what it says. I'll post agin in a few minutes.

Comment

OK, on my laptop, nothing is running over 4% right now. Of course I only have firefox running. Well, compiz is there, an xorg seems to stay near the top.

My laptop CPU temp runs between 50 and 60 degrees C. The fan kicks in when it hits 60, and shuts of when it goes down to 50. You can monitor this by installing lm-sensors, and configuring it for your computer. Once you have it installed and configured, you can use Ksysguard to display your system temps. You can have ksysguard display your CPU temp in your task bar, which is what I do. That way I can always keep an eye on it.

Comment

So...the fact that operapluginwrap is gallivanting from 4.something to everything up to 44 % is not a good thing then?? Double digits seem to be the rule rather than exeption on that one....

Comment

may ne a stupid consideration, but some months ago was winter.. now its summer and at least where i live its much more warmer.

Hint: try to install some of thos superkaramba monitoring interface.. they are cool.. and give you a lot of infos ( cpu usage and more )

Comment

Originally posted by NexusHumanis
                  So...the fact that operapluginwrap is gallivanting from 4.something to everything up to 44 % is not a good thing then?? Double digits seem to be the rule rather than exeption on that one....
                  That could be the problem. Kill it and see if your computer starts acting more normally.

Comment

Working...
                  X