This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Sleep and Charge

Hey guys, I'm getting a Toshiba Satelite A300 laptop, I'm trying to decide if i want to stay with vista or move to kubuntu (which looks awesome btw). One thing i wanna ask is, will the USB Sleep and Charge still work if i install ubuntu, and if so, how to i enable it?
    Many thanks guys

Edit: Also, if i do decide to get it, i might need help after installation, getting familiar and all, perhaps you guys could point me in the right direction, i think ill find my way fine, if not, ill give somebody my aim sn or something.
    - Soul

Re: USB Sleep and Charge

First, welcome to the Kubuntu Forums. Happy to hear that you are considering the move to Linux.

What do you mean when you say 'USB Sleep and Charge?' Can you explain?

Never mind. Got it:
    USB Sleep–and–Charge support. It’s the easiest way ever to charge your smart phone, MP3 player or other portable electronics, even when your laptop is turned off. Because, believe it or not, sometimes you won’t want to boot your laptop all the way up or keep it all the way on.
    And:
    While off or in sleep mode, as long as the laptop is plugged into an outlet, users are able to charge their devices at any time.
    (From a Toshiba announcement).

Seems that this feature is hardware driven - keep the laptop plugged into the wall and the USB ports are powered, regardless of whether or not the PC is on/off or in sleep mode.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ah thanks dude, that was quick xD
      ill be sure to try kubuntu out, i was thinking of using the KDE 4 remix... if thats what its called, if i run into any problems ill come running back here. if you think something else is better, id like to hear your suggestion. (hopefully i wont have to deal with vista anymore ;_; )
      many thanks
      - Soul

Comment

If you want a near 100% positive experience with Kubuntu, then I'd say begin with the HH LiveCD using KDE 3.5.9. KDE 3.5.9 is a solid desktop platform - mature and reliable. KDE 4.x that comes with the remix version of HH is pretty, but it lacks a lot of the full functionality of KDE 3.5.9. If you have the space - and based on the specs of the laptop, your half-terrabyte of disk space is unreal - you could configure and install both version, which is what I've got on my laptop (triple-booting in fact).

Comment

yeah, the double booting thingy sounds cool, but does it take a long time to install each? :-X ;-;
          and just out of curiosity, what do you mean like full functionality, ease of use? or ability to do things?
          thanks again!
          - Soul

Comment

The laptop you're getting will of course, have Windoze Vista (of some flavor) pre-installed. You will want/need to look at The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step before you consider installing Kubuntu. This is a very good guide, and one that has been used by many Forum members who ventured into dual-booting Linux with Windoze.

I dumped M$ Vista many months ago. My laptop is 'Windoze free' with the exception of running XP within a VM (virtual machine) so I can use Quicken. Installing multiple Linux OS's on a PC is no big deal at all. It's just a matter of planning and preparing.

Comment

hm, so i'll have to split my partition i guess, can i merge two partitions together if i decide that i like kubuntu and just dump windows?
              anyway, i need this computer for college x.x so i wanna get things done now or else ill be screwed. :-X
              I think i'll try the HH 4 remix, i'd like to see my computer all pretty ^^, but if i wanted to get both however, if i installed a program on lets say KDE 3.5.9, would it also appear in 4?
              Many thanks
              -Soul
              edit: I looked at this tutorial to use the "terminal" and it seems rather intimidating ;_;. I hope you dont have to do everything in there, I like gui more x.x

Comment

Working...
              X