X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubunu Insatllation

Hi!

My name is Max and i'm trying to start using Kubuntu but i'm having trouble with the installation.

I've had no trouble till the installation starts. I have a Toshiba Satellite A215 laptop and when the installer tries to build the new partition table it gives me an error. There is one that seems that cannot be deleted (i guess that there is a hidden partition from the laptop itself).

No option in the partitions section of the installation seems to work. Can anyone help me solve this?

Thanks in advance,

MAx

Re: Kubunu Insatllation

May we safely assume your laptop is "new" and therefore, it has Windoze Vista installed already? I'll assume that to be true.

In order to install any other OS onto a PC that has Vista installed, you have to shrink the volume that Vista occupies. This is done using the disk tools that come with Vista. See The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-stepThe definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step

If you are trying to install Kubuntu as a replacement for the existing OS, let us know.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

I should have specified my OS configuration. The laptop is indeed new, but I have already changed the OS configuration. I installed a XP and a Ubuntu 8.04 both of 64 bits. Yet, I changed my mind I want to switch to Kubuntu. I really don't care if the Windows is deleted on the process since I won't use it much and in any case I can install it later, with the Kubuntu running. Therefore, I can either use the space allocated for the existing Ubuntu (150GB on both ext3 and swap partitions) or use the whole disk (200GB).

Hope this help to give you a hint on how to proceed.

Regards,

MAx

Comment

Just slightly confused. In your initial post, it's implied that you were/are having trouble installing Kubuntu, yet in your recent reply, you indicate that you have both Win XP and Kubuntu 8.04 installed. Can you clarify?

Comment

No, my system is now running on Ubuntu not Kubuntu. Besides, I do have XP but not care loosing it if it's necesary. What I wanna do is switch from Ubuntu to Kubuntu.

Hope it's clear now. Thanks again.

Comment

You could simply install the package kubuntu-desktop. This will result in having both, Gnome and KDE desktop environments to choose from when you login.

Comment

I'll try that. Thanks for the tip.

By any chance do you know how to install the wireless card of this pc? It's really giving me a head-ache.

Regards,

Comment

Added: First, I'm not suggesting you do the following, but provide it to pique discussion.

You are running Ubuntu, so have a Gnome desktop environment. Verify that the package ubuntu-desktop is installed - it most likely is. The Kubuntu desktop environment can be installed (as stated above) with the kubuntu-desktop package. One could consider (this is where I welcome discussion) uninstalling Gnome and installing KDE concurrently with the following commands from a console:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
                As I'm using KDE, I 'simulated' the command as follows:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get remove --simulate kubuntu-desktop && sudo apt-get install --simulate ubuntu-desktop
                and received no error notifications. This makes me think that this procedure should work.

Comment

Working...
                X