X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photoshop and Dreamweaver on Kubuntu

Hello.

Im now downloading myself a copy of Kubuntu. Is there yet a Photoshop for it? I just can't believe GIMP is as good as photoshop. Also, how about Macromedia programs like Dreamweaver? I like to make websites with it. I also take digital pictures and edit them with photoshop. So, do I have any reason to upgrade for Kubuntu? What about IRC or Instant messaging or FTP transfers?

Re: Photoshop and Dreamweaver on Kubuntu

I've just moved from a windows environment to a linux environment at work. I  use NVU for web editting and GIMP for graphics work and they do the job just as well as the name brand windows based apps. I also use Kooka for scanning - its better than HP's own scan manager that came with windows driver package for the printer. Go figure. 

All in all, I've not had any problems using the linux equivalents to the windows based products. If you really want to use them though, download Crossover office - it can run Photoshop 7 no problems, and Dreamweaver MX (check which version on their website).

As far as IM apps go, Gaim is excellent and multiplatform - it supports ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, MSN, Jabber and some others... it covers pretty much everything.

gFTP is a good FTP program.

BTW, Linux is not an 'upgrade' to Windows, its an alternative, so don't try it with the expectation of it being 'better', as its relative. I prefer linux personally, and it does have serious advantages over Windows, like security etc, but driving hardware can be an issue. At the end of the day, its personal preference. Use whats best for you. Linux is certainly worth a try.

Hope this helps.

Comment

cool!!

how bout flash

Comment

Originally posted by danieln
        cool!!

how bout flash
        http://f4l.sourceforge.net/

You might also want to check out running Windows Flash under WINE.

I've used PS professionally and at home for the past...I don't know...lotta years. I work in print and definitely see PS as necessary for that work environment. But for web design and image retouching, as a free alternative I see no problem with GIMP. I use it exclusively at home and have no problems. It's a great program. But still, if you need to, check around and see if anyone's got PS running under WINE.

While I don't use them, NVU and Quanta are both totally fine WYSIWYG editors. In many cases, I think they're better than Dreamweaver.

Comment

I run PS 7 under wine on kubuntu gutsy and so far it has seemed to work flawlessly and very fast. I treid running dreamweaver under crossover office and it creashes when trying to connect to remote files.

Comment

Working...
          X