X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse freezes in Hardy

Hello, folks.

Hopefully those here can help me. Please be advised before-hand that I am EXCEEDINGLY new to using Kubuntu, and haven't touched a command line since the DOS days, plus I am almost COMPLETELY unfamiliar with the commands and layout of Linux.

Here's the problem, however:

I recently installed the most recent release of Kubuntu, with the version 3.? KDE Desktop.

Everything SEEMS to work well, even sound (which took some finagling). However, when opening various programs, the mouse will lock up completely. The keyboard still works fine, though. When these lock-ups happen, they also prevent effective shutdown or restarting, halting the shutdown process with a black screen but with the machine not shut down or re-starting. At this point, it requires a physical reset or power-down.

This happens with wildly disparate pieces of software. It can happen any time I open a second tab in Firefox, or if I bring up the add/remove programs function (I cannot currently remember its' name). It may happen 75% or 80% of the time, then it won't happen, then it'll happen again. The mouse itself isn't to blame, as it has been rock solid on other machines (An older-model USB Logitech LX3 Optical mouse.)

If anyone has a suggestion or a solution, I would appreciate it as I have not seen similar when searching and I am unsure of where to begin to troubleshoot this.

With many thanks aforehand,
    Mika Kyubi

Re: Mouse freezes in Hardy

First, welcome to Linux, and the Kubuntu Forums. You will find quite a few members here who are willing and able to assist with a variety of issues.

You have not provided 'details' as to the hardware you are running, which (likely) will have an impact on your problem, and possibly, point towards a fix.

By chance, are you using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Mouse freezes in Hardy

Hardware-wise, I had mentioned that the mouse is a USB mouse, specifically a Logitech LX3, and yes, the keyboard is a standard PS2-type keyboard, a Microsoft model, though which I have long since forgotten.

As to the rest of the hardware:
      Processor: AMD Athlon64 4000+
      Memory 2 Gigs Dual-channel (I forget the speed, as I'm reporting from work and the computer in question is my home machine)
      Hard Drive: Western Digital 250 gigabyte SATA2, I forget the model name.

I will reply with more details upon my return home.

I appreciate the welcome, and please pardon my slightly scattered response at the moment.

Yours,
      Mika

Comment

Working...
      X