X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instalation on AMD athlone Error

Hi,

I have an Athlone PC running a 1GHz processor, 512 gigs of ram, sis motherboard with integrated graphics and two HD (40 and 10 - the 40 is partitioned into two 20's). Installed on the machine is windows xp which is very sluggish. I have tried to install Kubuntu using an ISO I downloaded and burn to DVD but the installer fails. There is a failure message that flashes up but it goes too quickly to note what it says but its something about the motherboard and it refers to it being pre 2000 (its not - in the bios it states 2001). I have tried the disc in my laptop so I know it works (well it gets to the - do you want to format part at least).

Does anyone have any suggestions/has anyone faced this problem before?

Thanks in advance

Re: Instalation on AMD athlone Error

I have an Athlon XP which runs Kubuntu with no problem. When you are in Windows XP does it show the right time and date. Pre 2000 might refer to the date in the system and not the date of the BIOS. Does it need a new battery on the motherboard?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for reply. Yeah it is showing the right time and date in both the bios and in windows. This PC was built in late 2001 so I guess its possible that the hardware is older than suggested although I wouldn't think so. Not sure how to check the motherboard batt but I deff think its working as time and date doesn't reset when power is pulled.

I don't think there is a hardware problem as it seems to run xp after a fashion. Maybe this machine its looking to be retired! >

thanks

Comment

Before you give up, I would advise downloading a Live CD ISO, and burn it slow (4X) -- use DAO mode if you can.

Then boot the Live CD, and see if it runs. If the Live CD will run on that motherboard, then you can go ahead and install from it.

There seem to be issues with DVDs, sometimes, that aren't the same with CDs.

Comment

Thanks,

Thanks for your help.

I have tried Ubuntu from a CD and get the same error and I have also tried Sabayon. Sabayon does actually load from live DVD but after a period of blank screen (ie no output from computer to monitor). Once installed and rebooted to installation a similar thing happends in terms of the booting process (period of inactive output to monitor) before it eventually gets to the Sabayon login. When I try to login there is an error with respect to the boot loader.

cheers

Comment

Meh -- sounds like that SIS integrated graphics is kind of a deal-killer, huh? SIS graphics aren't famous for their Linux drivers. :P

I've never tried PCLinux, but a lot of folks with minimal/older hardware report that it works pretty well in that situation.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Ill try that and if it fails ill find it a nice retirement home for it. I cant complain, this machine was very handy in its hay day!

cheers

Comment

Working...
              X