X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie: Apache2 won't start

Hi there,

I am new to linux and Kubuntu, but i want to set up a webserver. I have installed Kubuntu and tried to install apache 2. I have downloaded the tar.gz file from the apache site and unpacked it. Then i did what i find in any manual i can find:

./ configure
    make
    make install

this all runs fine, i can't see any error messages.

Then, when i try to start apache ( apachectl -k start ), i get the error message: "the program apachectl is currently not installed. You can install it by typing : apt-get install apache. Make sure you have the universe component enabled"

First i have tried to do the apt-get thing, but then i get the feeling it doens't install apache 2. Also, i have tried to install apache2 from the adept manager but when i do that the files are spread out all over my system ( var, etc, usr/sbin ) and then i am lost.

I have installed apache on windows and got it working fine.

Can anyone help me on the error message please?

thanks in advance,

Re: Newbie: Apache2 won't start

cd to wherever you unpacked apache and type

Code:
    sudo make uninstall
    then type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install apache2
    note the apache2

Watch the terminal, it should start after installation of the main package and associated packages such as common and a model

point a browser to 127.0.0.1

You should see a page saying "It Works!"

I suspect you compiled and installed in your home directory, installing here is not in the path known to the linux system /home/usr/bin is not that is, so it will not know to look there, if you had done sudo make install it probably would have worked, but the apache in kubuntu works great. You can then use adept to add whatever modules you need such as php or perl.

Comment

Re: Newbie: Apache2 won't start

the uninstall option wouldn't work, and the installation as you discribed wouldn't work either. So i did a complete reinstall of kubuntu and installed it your way. Things are working fine now. after a long search i figured the config files out and got my server up and running. thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
      X