X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaffeine will not play DVDs

Hello All,

I started using Kubuntu with gutsy and I had no problem making dvds be read in that but now in hardy I cannot read dvds.

I have already followed multiple tutorials online, installing the medibuntu packages along with all of the ubuntu-restricted packages. I am running 64-bit kubuntu 8.04.

The error I continuously get in Kaffeine is that it needs the libdvdcss package. I open up yakuake and run sudo apt-get install libdvdcss. It will not do this but I do have libdvdcss2

I am sure I am making a very noobish mistake and appreciate all the help you will offer.
    Thanks

Re: Kaffeine will not play DVDs

I'm posting this from a blackberry so I can't link. But look in the forum for hardy software support for a post about no libdvdcss in hardy. Its by me and in it there is a link to a howto by snowhog that will solve your problem.

The short version is that the upgrade didn't relink to the medibuntu repository so you have to add that. after you do that make sure that kaffine dvd playback points to your dvd player in the /media folder, mine was pointing to /dev which is empty in kubuntu.

I'm sure if snowhog see's this then he will put a link here.

Ted

Comment

HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you both very much for your speedy response, but neither of your solutions solved the problem, to my disappointment.

Snowhog, thank you very much for the tutorial, there were a few things i was missing from it.

I did notice that in Adept I am missing the libxine1-kde package, as in, it does not show up when I look for it. Also, as I am running 64 bit is there a w64codecs package? I have w32codecs installed.

So, Kaffeine is still giving me the error that smeghead was having in his topic and I am still confused.

Thanks
        -PJ

Comment

You might try installing the package kubuntu-restricted-extras

Commonly used restricted packages

This package depends on some commonly used packages in the Kubuntu multiverse repository.
          Installing this package will pull in support for MP3 playback and decoding, Java runtime environment, Flash plugin, DVD playback, and LAME (to create compressed audio files).

Comment

This package is already installed as well.

Comment

Do you have all the specified repositories marked, and did you add the medibuntu repository as per my HOWTO?

Comment

which specified repositories?

Comment

I have just completely done your tutorial for the third time, this time using CLI and it yields the same result.

On a side note when I apt-get update and apt-get upgrade two errors are thrown, both saying to apt-cdrom

"W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/dists/hardy/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/dists/hardy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs"

Comment

K Menu > System > Adept Manager > Adept > Manage Repositories

On the Kubuntu Software tab ensure that all the items are checked (the last item - Source Code - isn't required unless you intend to download source files for compiling).
                    On the Third-party Software tab uncheck the cdrom repository item.

Comment

okay, so I did that and if I open the dvd in dolphin first, I am fine. But kaffeine itself is still incapable of opening the the DVD. Also, once I open Kaffeine it throws an error message that says "Can't bind info socket!!!" Other than that, It works amazingly. Thank You both so much

-PJ

Comment

I am sorry, I realize that my last post was a tad confusing. As I stated Kaffeine works fine when I open the video file from dolphin, but when I open the dvd from the shortcut menu in Kaffeine itself it still tells me that it needs libdvdcss.

Comment

Originally posted by Primoz
                          I had the same problem, and the answer is somewhere on the forum, but don't know where...
                          Thankfully i know how to do it without this.
                          Go to your Konsole and type
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get install LibDVDCSS2
                          And it should work
                          I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

After racking my brains over libraries, I found that (in my case at least) Xine was looking for /dev/dvd but the device is on /dev/dvd1. This was making it THINK it was missing a library but it wasn't (I assume the code can't tell a missing device error from a missing library error - I only realised by looking under the top-level error dialog to other error dialogs it was covering and then using intuition :-X).

I opened Kaffeine and the Xine parameters, then set the DVDs device to /dev/dvd1 and had some success.

Still a bit glitchy before the DeCSS kicks in, but seems to work (I had to go to the title menu via menu, but I am now playing an encrypted DVD as I type this).

Comment

Working...
                            X